Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  12:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, good Enon song.

Today I'll go with Slow Burn from Bowie's Heathen LP. His last two are his best since the 70's. Hands down.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  1:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There is a lot of Bowie that I love scattered throughout his carreer - even the new stuff - but, I haven't heard the brand new one. I remember reading something stating that before he started work on his new album - he listened to all of his work from start to finnish to get a good feel of all of his sounds and get back to some roots.

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  08:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Grifters - "Skin Man Palace"
off - Crappin' You Negative

great CD! - it's a tough call as to my favorite Grifters CD. I'd say it's between Crappin You Negative
and Ain't My Lookout. But, they're all gooooooooooood!

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Rock. The last two Bowie's are really good. It seems as though he's kind of re-acquired that kind of melancholy thing he had in the 70's.

Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Prolly already posted somewhere...

"First Wave Intact" - Secret Machines
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  07:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catherine Wheel- "Texture" In my top five CW songs.

Porcupine Tree- "Trains" & "The Sound of Muzak" - I'll listen to P.T. over P.F. anyday.

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.

Edited by - Jeronimo on 11/08/2004 2:48:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  08:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When you're in love with a beautiful woman - Dr. Hook

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Muskrat Love"- America and Captain and Tenniel both have their versions of this incredible jam. I love them both so much, I can't decide which one is better.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  08:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Dr. Hook song is a classic! I saw Dr.Hook when he toured with Celtic Frost and Metal Church. He blew them off the stage.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  10:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Terra Diablo - Can you Hear Them?"
Off - Triks Mix!!

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  01:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toady,
Mogwai - Mogwai Fear Satan (remix)
from All the Real Girls Soundtrrack

Dr Hook! Classic, Loper you'll be posting Little River Band tracks next dude.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  09:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Ides of Space - "No Trace of Fading"
off - There Are No New Clouds

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  10:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Mo, I think I saw that tour. Wasn't that when Dr. Hook came on stage with the big inflatable penis?

Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  10:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair" - Twilight Singers, from the 3 song EP of the same name. Other two tracks are so-so.

Little River Band... omg. Back in 1984, my first job was in a hardware store that got busted by ASCAP for playing a local lite FM station (only after all its songs were burned into my brain, LRB included). ASCAP goons said "buy our Muzak system and we'll let you off the hook". First thing I did after the system was installed (crazy 8 track cartridge lookin things, only way bigger, about the size of a 12" record cover) was to bring in my cassette deck from home, tap into the PA system and record as much of it as I could. Buried somewhere I have 3 C-90 cassettes of pure Muzak. Wonder if I could get busted by ASCAP for possession?

Classic rock / Lite FM... guilty pleasures indeed

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little River Band- "Lonesome Loser" & Starship- "We Built This City" Those keyboads are just too hip!

and- G. Love- "Kick Drum"

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  2:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is that on the new G. Love? I heard a single the other day - and I was a bit dissapointed with the lack of traditional G.Love luv...

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  3:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Yeah Mo, I think I saw that tour. Wasn't that when Dr. Hook came on stage with the big inflatable penis?

Yeah man it was. And then he like popped it and all this hair conditioner looking goop flew all over the place. The chick I was with said it tasted salty. Thank god I was at the beverage stand getting a cold Tab when that went down.
I read an interview with Gwar awhile back and they said they got alot of their ideas from Dr.Hook. In fact they said something like.."Man,sometimes our shows can get a bit nasty but not like a Dr. Hook concert, that dude was off "The Hook."

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  3:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah rocket. Its off "Philedelphonic" I haven't heard the new G.Love yet. Thats bad news you just posted. I think G.Love is Diggity Dank myself. And I know Croz is down with the pow wow too. I hope he doesn't lose the sauce. Its special ya know.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the hook was off of it, but nothing can compare to the feces tossing attack on human kind that was REO Speedwagon.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  3:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  3:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Yeah, the hook was off of it, but nothing can compare to the feces tossing attack on human kind that was REO Speedwagon.

No Shit dude! I was way to afraid to go to one of their shows. All these people I know went and during "Keep On Loving You" turds started to rain all over them. They had to get hepatitis shots too.I guess they used some kind of sonic turd cannon. What a shitty thing to do to your fans.

Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  6:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nervous Breakthrough from THE CHURCH's new album Beside Yourself.

Croz - you're in Adelaide right?

They're playing this friday night (12th Nov) in Adelaide. Not sure of the place, but you should go see em. their last coupla albums have been amazing.

Anyone else in Oz, here's the dates:

NOV Fri 12 - ADELAIDE SA The Gov. 59 Port Rd. Hindmarsh Ph 08 8340 0744. Support - Andrew P. Street.

NOV Sat 13 - MELBOURNE VIC Corner Hotel, 57 Swan St. Richmond Ph + 61 3 9427 7300 Support - George Byrne + Smallgoods

NOV Fri 19 - SYDNEY NSW The Metro, 624 George St. Ph 02 9287 2000 http://www.metrotheatre.com.au Support Menage a Trois (Peter Koppes daughters band + George Byrne)

NOV Sat 20 - BRISBANE QLD The Zoo, 711 Ann St The Valley Ph 07 3854 1381 Support Chris Pickering (The Horse You Rode In On and Boatpeople)

Sunday 14th @ The Empress Hotel - Melbourne, Victoria
Marty Willson-Piper (one of their guitarists who does UNBELIEVABLY GOOD solo shows)
The Empress Hotel
714 Nicholson St North Fitzroy
Marty Willson Piper 10.00 - 12.00
Butterfly 9  9.00 - 9.45
Door $8/$10 - For mixer numbers load in details and stuff :theempresshotel.com.au

oink
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  6:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
going back a few days, i noticed this line:

That is exactly why Roger Waters is so damn good. Best lyricist of the seventies. Or...at least my favorite.
Outside of Paul Stanley...of course.

I'm guessing that was sarcastic. but i luv KISS !

Jeronimo: Porcupine Tree rule huh !

I hadn't heard of them until the other day when I was watching Marty W-P from the Church and he had their t-shirt on. he told me to check em out and man, i totally dig them. great sound. so overblown, but awesome nonetheless.

oh - please don't think i'm doing the street team thing for The Church. I just reckon lotsa people here would dig what they're doing these days. very moody, great manipulation of instruments/sounds and of course great songwriting. and there's always "Under The Milky Way" - tho they don't play much old stuff live. "Reptile" has been showing up at the last few shows (albit this time in 2003 - shit time flies).

oink
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  11:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reptile is a wicked track whiteskyswater. Im in country SA 150 kms from the Gov, but thats no big deal. Im playing d&d friday night so no joy there. I saw the church play in about 91, had a bad night and broke up with my g/f at the time, then got a parking ticket. I used to shag Andrew P Streets sister, what a psycho root she was, i still have a scar!

G love is great - only have their self titled here, must get some more....

Triksmix arrived today, currently up to the Ned's Track, pretty lofi, but havent heard it b4 which is nice.

Stereophonics - Mr Writer, is todays favourite thus far, but Gorecki will no doubt nuke this from orbit, what a cracker that track is - my wedding waltz without a doubt.

"Thank god I was at the beverage stand getting a cold Tab when that went down." my quote of the day.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  12:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've always loved the Church - but, haven't bought anything since "Sometime Anywhere"
Their new one cought my eye a few months back when I got an email about it. I've put them on my never ending - "want list" - but, still haven't bought it. Maybe I should move it up a few notches.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  3:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Monster Movie - "Crash Landing"

Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  7:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rocket: you got Yahoo?

I can email you some taste tester tracks from the last few albums.

mail me at whitewatersky @ yah00 . c0.uk (take out the spaces)

they are amazing lately. i'm getting a little excited actually.
and where in America are you ? i'll ask em if they're touring there anytime soon.

oink
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  11:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
send me some to crozarey@yahoo.com.au - thatd be great whitey

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  11:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
todays favourite,
Janes Addiction - The Riches
From triks Mix also, great stuff

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo

"Muskrat Love"- America and Captain and Tenniel both have their versions of this incredible jam. I love them both so much, I can't decide which one is better.

Well dude, you just gotta hear the original version, then you would pass on both the America and Captain and Tennile? It was written and sung by Willis Allan Ramsey (he had only one album, but it was a gem, recorded on Leon Russell's now well defunct Shelter Records) in about 1973 (it was a very good year). There is another song on there that always sizzles me called Satin Sheets, that Shawn Colvin butchered on her CoverGirl CD (she did covers of her favorite artists). I love Shawn Colvin, but that particular CD,in my opinion is a total bomb; should never have been released. I will send to you, see what U think.

Wish I was a millionaire,
Play rock music and grow long hair,
Tell you boys,
I'd drive a new Rolls Royce,
Pretty women'd come to me,
I'd give 'em all the third degree,
Give 'em satin sheets,
And keep 'em off the streets.
Hallelujah, sock it to ya',
Praise the Lord and pass the mescaline,
Say Jehovah,
He'll come over,
See me playin' my calliope...

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Heart Full of Soul-Yardbirds

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Scott in Maine
Assistant Driver

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The entire first side of the s/t Crucifucks LP (released in 1984) - featuring the warm, soothing, mellow tones of vocalist Doc Dart and a pre-Sonic Youth Steve Shelley on drums; including the top-40 smashes "Cops for Fertilizer", "Go Bankrupt and Die" and "Hinckley Had a Vision."
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  10:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the Crucifucks? What a name...too much! The titles of their songs are a hoot. More music for the whole family it seems.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 11/10/2004 10:01:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  1:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Moose - "I wanted to see you to see if I wanted you"

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  10:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool track name again Rockettledrum.

Today
Fugazi - Cashout

Go to Top of Page

janusinfurs
Passenger

Australia
56 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  01:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey... what happened to that weekend threat? Any way, just... not apologising... explaining... no CDs and, more importantly, no thanks.

Scott in Maine... got yours...

Everything everyone's sent to me has been shit hot... if anyone I haven't thanked before... shit... I'm sorry... there's a lot going on... and I'm not processing things well. I can't even remember all the great songs I've heard in the last few days. But it's been a real pleasure.

The bottom line is in 6 weeks' time I'm guaranteed some time, and I'll be sending out seven deadly sins plus maybe a love, a joy, a bliss, whatever I can dig up.

Any way, that's off my chest. This joint's kicking in. I'm gonna loosen up and check out some other discussions here.
Go to Top of Page

trik
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Send trik a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My god, the crucifucks, THAT is a huge flash back!!!

Today my tune is soon, MBV.... possibly one of the best tunes EVER!!!

FUN FOR GIRLS.....http://www.davidandgoliathtees.com/games/throwrocks.html
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  10:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red Red Meat - three tracks from "Jimmywine Majestic", out on Sub Pop around '93:

"Roses" - because of the solos

"Gorshin" - because of its drunken tempo

"Rusted Water" - because I played on it :D

Edited by - drmcd on 11/12/2004 10:58:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ive got that Red Red Meat buried in my vinyl somewhere. I remember really liking the Stones sounding stuff.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  12:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Terrified of Flight" - 764-Hero
from Weekends of Sound
I love this band

Someone just put this album up on Indie Torrents.

Edited by - moenkopi46_2 on 11/12/2004 9:22:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RjD2-"Exotic Talk"

Phaser-"Life and Illusion"

G.Love -"Baby's Got Sauce"

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  12:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lusk - "Gold"
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  12:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
baby HAS got sauce

Zappa - Catholic Girls, and the rest of scene 1 Joes Garage. Brilliance

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  05:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Suicide - Ghost Rider

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  09:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Sianspheric-"This all Happened"
off - Toshack Highway vs. Sianspheric split

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  10:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

Today...
Sianspheric-"This all Happened"
off - Toshack Highway vs. Sianspheric split

I just got their album "The Sound of the Colour of the Sun," extremely mellow. Gonna have to give it another listen or two to decide for sure.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oh dude - I have that one too. I bought it because I loved the Toshack split stuff so much. It wasn't what I was expecting... and I have had it for months and only listened to it maybe 6 times... but, I think it's pretty good - it gets better with a few listens. But, I think they are headed for some great things if they put a full length out with some more up beat and more structurally focused pieces like on "the split." We'll see...
does anyone know when thye are planning another release?

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This morning was the Suicide LP. Tonight, it's all Quicksand. Anyone in here remember or ever into them? I was throughly convinced at the time that when they scored the major label deal, that they could have easily become extremely popular. It sadly never happened (they always seemed to get marketed towards metalheads which was a super fucked move on their label). They kind of have the same label relationship history as Swervedriver, getting completely fucked of what should have been theirs, and they're still a shitload of what's out there. Then and now.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  5:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, for reference, Rival School is Walter's new band. The bands sound extremely similar, except Quicksand had the tasty guitar stuff.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  12:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pinback - xly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic