Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  09:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mo-HA-vee

Weird, Mojave Co., AZ is where that job is.
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  10:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it an indian name?

Today has been bereft of music thus far, though i heard a local band play something and i thought it was someone like The Mars Volta.... what were they called... The Petrol 3? Ill find out and get back, they only have a demo out so far but i was stunned to hear they were local and not some huge band like TMV. So i have homework.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  03:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bowie's Space Oddity is lifting me off into space this fine day!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  08:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Swell - "Kinda Stoned"

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

is it an indian name?

Yes, indian tribe name, I think. The band is Mojave, the place I was talking about is Mohave, with an H. You say them the same. I think the Mohave might just be an Americanized version of Mojave?

Anyway, "Song for Nico" by the Warlocks (not the Jerry Garcia or whatever Warlocks)
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In the City-SWD, from Rocket's Serene Comp. On this track, I think the lads have totally synthesized the sounds of most Brit and American 60's bands in one wonderful tune. Soooo...Who,and maybe a twinge of BeachBoys in parts. Jez must be the greatest rock drummer of all time. Anyways he's up there with my top picks.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 03/02/2005 09:53:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  10:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Immortal Lee County Killers - Let's get Killed.

Dearest White Stripes, meet your maker.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  02:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iron and Wine - Trapeze Swinger

also

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life By The Drop

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  08:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
SWERVEDRIVER: Neon Lights Glow (at least a sample of it! It sounds great!!!)

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  08:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry forgot the direct link: http://www.sanctuaryrecords.co.uk/swervedriver/Audio/cmedd10910209.mp3

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Holy hell. Thanks for the link. What a teaser. I absolutely cannot wait.

Oh, and by the way, the chord progression is blatantly ripped from Link Wray's "Rumble".

Edited by - interloper on 03/03/2005 09:12:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and 5 million other bands!
but, it sounds like a killer variation - and Adams voice is what really tops it all off!

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  09:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im feeling a little nostalgic today:

"Mayonaise" from Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  10:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant

Not long now!

11 days!

Edit: hmm, wrong thread i believe!

Today's song is...

Boo Radleys - Lazy Day

Edited by - Melwas on 03/03/2005 3:00:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  2:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, that's a DIRECT lift.

Go to Top of Page

Saint
Passenger

74 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  4:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage  Send Saint an AOL message  Send Saint a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lost in the Plot - The Dears

Here Comes Everybody - Autolux

These are 2 extremely stellar songs.
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  05:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it bother you 'Loper? Lets get it out in the open. :P I'm going to reserve comments until I hear the song in its full glory but I'll agree that from the snippet that it is a direct lift. I wonder if thats the reason that it wasn't released on the album...
I'd imagine if anything its intentional and more of a homage to the legend. I know on more than one occasion I've heard a Link riff fly off between songs during SWD shows.

Today for me "sugarless" - Autolux
It rocked me on the way to work and now I'm listening to the 4-track stuff thats been offered up at the toshack site.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, Im not bothered by it. I think it's great. Link and SWD are two of my favortes.

Geesh.

Edited by - interloper on 03/04/2005 06:03:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

by variation - I meant the other sounds going on around the riff...

Today...
Tarra Diablo - "Satellites"

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope I didn't make you mad with that lopscicle I was just pokin a little fun.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  09:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely not sir James. My mind picks out those things immediately.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  11:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They also used the lyrics to "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" (Dylan) to most of the verse in It's All Happening Now (apparently off ESR, Creation Promo; I heard it on Rocket's Serene CD). Don't bother me at all. Normally, Bobby D makes a very big deal if you use even 2 words of his without crediting, but maybe he doesn't listen much to Swervedriver. He sued Hootie and the Blowjobs for using the words "tangled up in blue" as just part of a verse (don't know what the outcome of that one was...I didn't think verse segments that didn't take a whole verse could be copyrighted..talk about picky; I thought Bob was being a bit of a prick where that was concerned).

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 03/04/2005 11:23:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

fireovid
Swervelette

49 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  11:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Send fireovid a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Slobberbone - Sober Song

Raise yr glass for these guys, next weekend they play their Last Show Ever (2 nights in Denton)
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that would suck if we could never repeat the same words or thoughts of another...
we would constantly be having to invent new words and keep expanding our alphabet just to keep from getting sued.
I've written lyrics that I thought were original and found that they had been used before. I'm not sure if my subconscious ripped them off or if I happened to simply think the same thing as someone else. It's happens in my art too - using similar colors - or coming up with similar ideas as someone else. So many factors contribute to what we say and do...

Anyway...
I can't stress enough (if you want to rock) how incredible Spartas' last CD "Porcelain" is! (that goes for their first one too)

Edited by - rocket on 03/04/2005 12:57:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  2:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today its "So Easy" Eagles of Death Metal

Im also making an 80's mix for a party Im having tonight. Ive currently got "Relax" Frankie Goes To Hollywood and "Private Idaho" from the B-52s stuck in my friggin head.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  2:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, it gets worse. Apparently Hootie did lose the suite and a chunk of change, and..he had a great lawyer. I always thought if you credited someone when you steal a lyric, or give a copyright payment all is cool. Not so where Mr.Dylan is concerned. He is apparently quite litigenous (and wins often...). This is yet another example of different rules for different folks.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  3:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Young Hearts by Commuter from the Karate Kid Soundtrack

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mr. Dylan should be so proud!

Isn't he the guy that invented the Internet?

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  4:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Amen, Rocket. If SWD did one of his songs..he should be fucking honoured, and stop complaining.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  4:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Iron and Wine - Trapeze Swinger

also

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life By The Drop

Love SRV. Might do a BLUES Wab disc...I think it's time..

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  6:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, ya gotta love ol' Bob suing Apple over the use of the word "DyLan" (for Dyanmic Language) back in the early 90's. Especially since his real name isn't Dylan but Zimmerman.

He's just like the Greatful Dead, if it wasn't for drugs, it'd all be country music...

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  6:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's just like the Greatful Dead, if it wasn't for drugs, it'd all be country music...

Boomerang, I think you've hit it on the nail. Wasn't that..."it'd all be cuntry music?"

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 03/04/2005 6:33:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris

Young Hearts by Commuter from the Karate Kid Soundtrack

are you serious chris? Im going to track this down and work out if your taking the piss or not. Nice one.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
today
Kooken and Hoomen - Song For Einar

Onya Jeronimo.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Creeper Lagoon- Dead Man Saloon. From Hayseed's Mustang Sound. Fuck do I love this song; maybe I would like more of their offerings. Help...'Seed, anyone out there, give me more information on this group. Thanks.

Their lyrics, music and power are blowing me away.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  5:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im digging on "Midlife Crisis" from Faith No More. Mike Patton is a strange cat.

Eugene, I was jamming to that song while running around today. They have a new album coming out I guess. Check it out: http://www.creeperlagoon.com/music.html

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  9:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eugene, my mates have been doing the band name .xls and have found 144 now. Plus theres a group doing it and they have found 200! Not really fair with them doing together but 144 is 50 more than you got......and 86 more than me. No Swervedriver on there either!

Today
Underworld - Big Mouth
Im on a harmonica spell here lately it seems.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  06:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, well team efforts are not as fair; the more people you pile on, well of course you're gonna get a higher score. I think the "official" rules should be what ONE person's score is. Fun, nonetheless. Half the problem, is the photos are so out of context, or difficult to decipher, so even for some bands that you know, you can still not identify. Yeah, I thought Swervedriver should have been there. Way too many all-chick a/o all pretty-boy vocal groups. Like who the fuck were they???

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  06:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Packed in like a sardine on the train this morning, "Gravity Eyelids" by Porcupine Tree is a great song to get things going on a Monday morning!

Oh, and I finished my "Best of Burnies" compilation - 104 of my fav's from your discs in just over a week. Thanks guys!

That's one happy iPod.

Edited by - boomer0127 on 03/07/2005 06:44:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  07:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Eugene - I put a Creeper Lagoon track on the "B.K. Rocks" comp I put together if you missed it. (It's called "Wrecking Ball") Most of there stuff is a bit more rockin' than "Dead Man Saloon" - but, I still think you would like it...

Today...
Built To Spill - "Sidewalk "
off - Keep It Like A Secret

Edited by - rocket on 03/07/2005 07:57:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  07:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today its "Flood" off of Tool's Undertow album. My favorite Tool song.

Go to Top of Page

fireovid
Swervelette

49 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  08:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Send fireovid a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Creeper Lagoon is one of the most underrated bands of the past few years that does "alt-rock" the way it should be done. Very genuine, very coming of age. The record with Dead Man's saloon was excellent, that song is very representative. The one before, I Become Small and Go, was perhaps even better, more lo-fi flourishes and interesting studio stuff, did make some critics top 10s, should have made all of them when you look at such lists these days. These folks are from SF and ***SWERVE TRIVIA!!!!**** one of their first drummers was none other than Swervedriver's great Graham Bonner. This is a fact, according to Creeper's Sharky Laguana. And he would know, he's a pretty big Swervie himself.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, on Creeper Lagoon. I shall go ahead and buy one of those. Rocket, I've gotta go back, to BK rocks; I loved that comp, probably didn't focus on Creeper as much, but now I'm gonna go back and check out the track you put on there.

On Seed's mix, Monsoon by Fireside really rocks fairly dangerously. Like that one.
They're SWEDISH?? No shite? Shoulda heard it, the guy was saying "every ting" instead of "everything" in the chorus. That cute l'il Swedish accent. Had no idea when I first heard it.

www.eugenebenjamin.com

Edited by - Eugene on 03/07/2005 11:05:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  11:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

fireovid - are you talkin' about the EP they put out?
I almost bought that once - but, it didn't make my final cut at the store...
I saw a great show about Creeper Lagoon (and Remy Zero) on HBO a while back. CL had some great live gig footage. I was totally psyched to get the album but, was a bit disappointed with how slick the final production was compared to the live footage I saw = live they seemed more like early Replacements to me - nice and raw!

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  1:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got into Creeper by listening to a group called the Jealous Sound. I forget what website it was but it was one of those "if you like this band check out.." and Creeper was there.

If there is a band Im going crazy over right now its Starflyer 59. Over the last month Ive bought or downloaded every LP and EP that they have come out with save one. They also have a new one coming out very soon that Ken Andrews helped mix. Should be very good.

Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  3:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point me to the sky - the floyd (pinkus)

lovely song
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  3:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Murder your darlings - Fucked up and Broke

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  8:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They're playing here 3/25 at the Ottobar in Baltimore. They might not let me in..i'm overage. I checked out that recording studio...pool table in the room..not bad. Looks like Dayton is on the list also; are you doing sound for them Loper?

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ambulance LTD - Sugar Pill

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  04:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

[quote]Originally posted by Eugene

They're playing here 3/25 at the Ottobar in Baltimore. They might not let me in..i'm overage. I checked out that recording studio...pool table in the room..not bad. Looks like Dayton is on the list also; are you doing sound for them Loper?

Nope, haven't mixed em yet, but the guitar player Scott is a super good friend of mine, and is a total mother of a guitar player. Go see them if you can. Their my favorite band in town.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000