Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  07:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All this talk of Terra Diablo made me go back to their site to check things out.

"The Great Decline" by Terra Diablo

If that's a "demo", I don't know what kind of magic you're gonna do to it to make it better.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  11:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So Croz... how does it feel to be the proud father of a 42 page thread?

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  11:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

does anyone have a particular Starflyer 59 CD they would recommend?

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  11:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Croz is the father of the long lasting threads... but rocket you are indeed the postmaster general.

The only SF59 cd I have has a silver cover and I've had it for a very very long time. I don't even know what the title of the thing is.
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  12:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

does anyone have a particular Starflyer 59 CD they would recommend?

Rocket, I have their entire discography. My favorite is Old. Although, Ken Andrews (Failure, On, Year of the Rabbit) just finished mixing and producing (I think) their new album, Talking Voice vs. Singing Voice which is due out 12 April. Many think that this will be their best album to date.

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any idea the title of the one I'm describing?
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  12:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's called "Silver" jamesg - it came out in '96 - I just checked it on Amazon. Looks like the top seller is "Gold" - came out in '95 - which has an all gold cover. Do you like it?
I'll take your advice Hayseed and check into "Old"

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesg

Have any idea the title of the one I'm describing?

I believe that is their self titled release often referred to as Silver. They released a disc the follwing year, also self titled but is referred to as Gold. Similar to what Weezer did with their Blue and Green Albums, i guess.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  12:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho Ho Ho - beat ya by 9 sec. sucka!

Edited by - rocket on 03/18/2005 12:59:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  1:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol
So now that I know the title how does it compare to their later stuff? To be honest I think I heard it on Clemson's college station back in the day and picked it up on a trip to Athens, GA. Never really followed them after that.
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good thing it wasnt an ebay auction.

Here's my favorites for the day:

Gotta Know Right Now - Smoking Popes
Split Personalities - 12 Rods

Edit:

I think that those first two albums are little heavier on the guitar and little raw on the production side. The vox are really spacey. Very heavy shoegazing influence there. You can really hear them mature into their own sound as they released their later material. Still good though.

They put out a lot of material. Theyve got about 6 LPs and 5 or 6 EPs in the last ten years. Thats a lot of music. Their newest disc will be the third LP in as many years.

Edited by - hayseed on 03/18/2005 1:10:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  1:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool - with all that they've put out I'm kinda surprised that they've dodged my radar until fairly recently...

nice quote btw hayseed

Edited by - rocket on 03/18/2005 1:16:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  2:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Red Sparowes: "Alone and Unaware, the Landscape was Transformed in front of our eyes"

http://www.redsparowes.com/mp3s/Alone%20and%20unaware,%20the%20landscape%20was%20transformed%20in%20front%20of%20our%20eyes.mp3

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  2:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna have to check that out when I get to work on monday (dialup here). The title alone deserves attention.
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  6:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Shosta-No.8

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Secret Machines - First Wave Intact

Ill say it again, these two threads give me (and i hope others) so much pleasure.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  10:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got Secret Machines a few weeks back, I'm starting to really dig it! Nowhere Again is a great driving tune. I think I'll put that on next.

Tonight, it's:

Dead Meadow - silver door - from the album 'Feathers'
I think some Swervies would probably like these guys. Like very mellow Black Sabbath with plenty of reverb, wah, and ride symbol. Great guitarist!

As a long time lurker here, I must say I have been checking this thread daily for probably close to a year now! I find out about so many great bands here. Someone recomended Lupine Howl here once. Just wanted to say thanks, both of thier albums are fantastic (if you can find them). Sorry, I'm rambling, just got in from the pub. Massholes can ramble!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  11:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a beautiful thing.

Brooks we encourage rambling here regardless where youre from.

Lupine Howl is a great find, one of hundreds ive found from this thread. Secret Machines is pretty cool too! I better check out Dead Meadow now coz they have been mentioned a few times here.

Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  09:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over - acoustic version came on my ipod while driving through the horse farms early this beautiful sunny morning... really nice.
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  09:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"BFF" - GvsB

and for all you Slint fans out there:
http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=32838
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  09:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope For Us[/b] - The Jealous Sound
Gave Up - NIN (had to go old school on that one)

Ive also been listening to [i]Dirt
by Alice In Chains a lot lately. I then realized that that album is 13 years old. I finally started to realize that Im starting to get old. I also listen to quite a bit of Classic Rock. I started doing this in Italy a fews years ago because it reminded me of home (my dad, whom I really close to, listened to this stuff and I grew up with Skynyrd, Allman Bros and Zepplin constantly on the stereo)

I turn 30 in a few months. Who gives a fuck though, right? I still listen to cool music. Better than most of the crap the youth of America listens to today.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  12:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"The Zenith" ans "2nd Space Song" - Starflyer 59

On your recommendations, I perused the selections on the iTMS. Bought these two and I'm looking into others.

Thanks guys!

Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  2:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toploader - "Achilles Heel" just came on the radio, and i'm really diggin it so that can be my song for today (haven't done a song for a day for a while!)
Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  3:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sister Awake-the Tea Party and ..Mr.Brown-Satchel (from Moen's WAB II)

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  6:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What's the other thread Croz?

Today - I've been listening to Starflyer 59 of course!

Both Gold and Old are excellent!

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weekend At Burnies, Rocketchops

Today
Eliminator Jr - Very Silent Flight

Show us your SWD influence!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  8:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

elementary my dear Crozton!

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  8:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my god rocket, 1941 posts! I wonder how they will improve on the dancing girls that celebrate the 1000th post! No doubt you will let us know.

I was on 400 before you, rocketchops is a perfect nick for you man.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  9:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I know - I'm hoping it will involve nudity?!?

Yes... you were ONCE before me... but,,, the tortoise beat the kangaroo you see.

I've got the chops for it at least

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  05:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Minni Thins - Let me be your liquor

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=5644610&Mytoken=20050320051640

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  4:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight, it's:

LCD Soundsystem : Movement

LCD Soundsystem is basically this guy named James Murphy. He produced bands like The Rapture.This guy is closer to the real deal though, very Gang of Four, but more authentic than most of the 'new' new wave coming out of New York. Apparently he played in various punk bands in the late 80's - 90's, then became a sound engineer, eventually becoming a producer. It's just catchy ass shit with a slight punk edge. Simple fun music with attitude. He's kinda like a middle aged hero, still one step ahead of the kids. I don't want to go to work tomorrow!

Go to Top of Page

adam says
Swervelette

16 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  5:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
poop shovel- one pass to go
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  11:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sci-flyer - Like An Ion

Brooks, dont LCD Soundsystem make electronica? I thought I had heard about them on the Underworld website.

Wouldnt it be cool if you could do a search for bandnames (or anything) from within a thread. When you do it here you get the thread name the bands found in but, thats it, no page number or highlighting or anything. Brad, is this possible or am i dreaming?

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  05:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hayseed don't feel to out of shape bro. I'm right there with ya as I turn 30 in august also.

Today for me... i'm really diggin the new Terra Diablo song thats posted - The Great Decline.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  07:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

looks like ya beat me to it jamesg - I'll second the Diablo factor!

(nice sig. Croz - and you've out blasted me by just a bit too! )

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  08:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

Sci-flyer - Like An Ion

Brooks, dont LCD Soundsystem make electronica? I thought I had heard about them on the Underworld website.

Wouldnt it be cool if you could do a search for bandnames (or anything) from within a thread. When you do it here you get the thread name the bands found in but, thats it, no page number or highlighting or anything. Brad, is this possible or am i dreaming?

Yeah, a lot of it does lean in that direction. You can see a couple of videos and listen to clips at thier website: http://www.lcdsoundsystem.com/news.php

Talk about a rough messageboard though, people log on thier to bitch at the artist because EMI decided to put Anti- Piracy software on their cd. Best part is, James (the lead singer / writter) logs on to dish it right back, pretty funny stuff!

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  10:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today its Whipping Post by Barkmarket.

Id also like to say that Barkmarket frontman, Dave Sardy, is criminally underrated both as an artist and producer. If you havent got a Barkmarket album yet, you need to.....immediately. Espeically, L Ron or Gimmick.

Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  3:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Behind the Scenes of the Sounds and the Times" - you know who. Such a great fucking song.

"Score your provisions / score a smile / can feel it all / for a million miles"
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  3:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Id also like to say that Barkmarket frontman, Dave Sardy, is criminally underrated both as an artist and producer. If you havent got a Barkmarket album yet, you need to.....immediately. Espeically, L Ron or Gimmick.

Barkmarket, yet another incredible and overlooked band of the 90's. Sardy recorded a fantastic lp for some friends under the name Let's Crash, and also the first Enon LP that he did is flat out incredible.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  5:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Barkmarket, yet another incredible and overlooked band of the 90's. Sardy recorded a fantastic lp for some friends under the name Let's Crash, and also the first Enon LP that he did is flat out incredible.

He also produced Helmet's Aftertaste, which I think is an underrated album. That was the last album that Hamilton, Brogdan and Stainer recorded together. The new Helmet line up is pretty good and the new album isnt bad but its far from their best work.

Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  9:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ageless beauty - stars

lately broken social scene, now stars, think i'll give apostle of hustle a try. they are all on arts & craft, no?

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  01:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had a quick listen to Stars james the other day when checking out the development of BBS' new lp. Not bad. I know those 2 are on Arts & Crafts. The BBS Tee is fucking cool!

Barkmarket, Intergalloper, isnt that a name that goes against your idea that you cant have good bands that have two words together and 3 syllables? Or was that 2?

Today,
Black Sabbath - Rock Pig

my good mate H has made a compile for air guitaring with this HUGE track on it. Sad boy that he is.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  04:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Haha.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  06:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Fire, Fire" - Motorhead
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  07:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've been listening to Arcade Fire this morning and a bit over the weekend - borrowed it from a friend.
I gotta say - as much as the singer is completely ripping off David Byrne - there are a lot of really catchy and well done tunes on this disk! and after a buddy of mine saw them live and talked up how great of a performance it was - I can see why they are getting so much buzzzzz

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  8:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Calm Like A Bomb - Rage Against the Machine
Bleed The Freak - Alice In Chains

Needed something to get me going in the gym today and those two tracks did the trick.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  04:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smashing Pumpkins - Rocket

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  04:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a Swervy Easter crew!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  07:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know how I just mentioned Arcade Fire - and how the singer sounds like David Byrne... well, at least they still have a fairly unique sound...
Well, yesterday a work friend loaned me a disk and informed me that the singer sounds like Chris Martin of Coldpaly. The name of the band is Blue Merle "Burning In the Sun" - and they suck ass! I have NEVER EVER heard a more blatant rip off of sound in my life. I don't know how the singer could possibly live with himself knowing that every single note, inflection, and delivery is a dead ringer for Chris Martin - it is truly unbelievable! One thing is missing though - the soul of Coldplay is nowhere to be found - it sounds like fluffy Coldplay gone elevator music... with a touch of Dave Mathews!
Blue Merle really sucks.

Today... (a local Kansas City band that is really starting to get some attention)
Veda - "safe"
off - this broken sky

If any of you liked Garbage when they were starting out than you'll like Veda. They kind of sound similar but, with a bit more sonic guitar. Plus, I've met them, and they're nice kids with a very strong musical work ethic.

Edited by - rocket on 03/23/2005 11:59:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  2:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I've got... 2 tickets to paradise, i've got... 2 tickets to paradise, i've got..." is on a complete loop in my head and i can't get it to go away!

Other than that i've learnt to play The Shins - New Slang so that's driving me crazy too

Edit: Favourite song of today is

Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

Edited by - Melwas on 03/23/2005 2:54:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000