Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  03:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ambulance Ltd. is is a fine band Rocket! I really love 'Swim' and 'Ophelia.' The singers' voice really knocks me out.

Right now it's 'Turnstyle Blues' by Autolux. Hah I can't get tired of it!

"That boy sure does like his whammy bar..."
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  07:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its lush music indeed.

Wow! You know if had Autolux for a while but neglected to listen to it till right now! Turnstyle Blues is fecking deluxe!

It can be my song of the day.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  3:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Birdman"- RIDE

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." W. Churchill

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  5:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strudlehead,

Did you see the DL show last night?!?!?!!? How was it? Sure you can't see BSP tomorrow night?

Today:
"The Sporting Life," -The Decemberists, good 80's sounding jangly pop!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  5:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Total Invasion - Killing Joke
The Mariner's Revenge Song - The Decemberists (quite possibly the coolest song I have)

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  8:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brooks,
I think father time is finally catching up to me! Took advantage of having a rain free Saturday and worked around the yard all day. Had a beer, dinner, and fell asleep in my chair around 730pm. God it sucks getting old! Can't make BSP tomorrow night, have to work late Monday, and early Tuesday. Let me know how the show was.

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." W. Churchill

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  11:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Urge Overkill - The Dropout

WOOHOOO
page #50!!!

Long live this thread!

Edited by - crozarey on 05/15/2005 11:16:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  04:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strudelhead

Brooks,
I think father time is finally catching up to me!

I know what you mean, it's getting tougher to make these club shows! I know I'll be hurting tomorrow after BSP! I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to catch DL in the future.

Hayseed - another Decemberists fan! Cool!

I woke up with "Monday," by the Jam in my head.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  07:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
today...
Him Kerosene - "Sleeping Pill"
off - No Mend No Repair

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/

Edited by - rocket on 05/16/2005 07:16:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  10:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

oh yeah - anybody see QOTSA on SNL last Sat. night? Damn it was awesome!

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  1:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo Hayseed - I can't find the post where there was a Starflyer 59 CD that you recommended (besides old and gold) - (I like old a bit more)
can you tell me again?

Actually - what would you pick between:
Can't Stop Eating
Easy Come Easy Go disks 1 and 2
Everybody Makes Mistakes
Leave Here a Stranger
Silver

???

Edited by - rocket on 05/16/2005 1:50:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  06:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RATM - tracks 8, 9, 10, 12 on Battle of L.A. (Maria, Voice of the Voiceless, New Millenium Homes, and War within a Breath)

I know we covered this before, but I haven't listened to Battle of L.A. since Audioslave came out. I love Chris Cornell and of course the old Rage members and I love my friends who like Audioslave, but to me, Audioslave is a fucking joke compared to RATM. Listen to these 4, then listen to Audioslave. Sorry to revisit this subject.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  08:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Brainiac - "Hot Seat Can't Sit Down"
off - Hissing Pigs in Static Coutre

Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wicked Annabella - The Kinks

The more I listen to this song, the more I wish Swervie had covered it, it would've been amazing.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  3:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Going old skool today:

Room A Thousand Years Wide - Soundgarden
Headhunter - Front 242

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  3:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rocket,

Id go with Silver. I tell ya, Starflyer 59 are two different bands. Listen to Silver and then listen to Leave Here a Stranger and you'll see what Im talking about. BTW, Im not too impressed with their new one, Talking Voice vs Singing Voice, which is disappointing because Ken Andrews helped produce it.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  03:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slowdive - Good Day Sunshine

I never got into these guys till i came to the forum. Again, much gratitude to you all! What else should i get after Souvlaki?

Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  05:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah Croz, I love me some Slowdive.

Hmm.. Next I'd get 'Just for a Day.' Or maybe the new-ish compilation?

Anywho, my two songs of the day are Tone Bender and Nanny in Manhattan - Lilys. Tone Bender sounds like MBV on crack, and Nanny in Manhattan sounds like Edgar Winter. Weird.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  06:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So here I am minding my own business, listening to the 'Pod on the train, when my iPod gets a mind of its own.

On my "MARTA" playlist, I have about 400 songs, including 55 SWD songs, 145 "Best of Burnies" songs, about 100 "recent additions" songs and another 100 randomly selected tracks from my library.

I hear "The New Sunrise" by The Joy Circuit (definitely one of my top 5 burnies tracks). But then it decides to play "Run in Circles", "Like a Moth" and "Come of Age (May)" in succession, all by The Joy Circuit. It had been playing randomly since last friday. After those 4 songs, it goes back to being random again, with "Harry and Maggie" being the next song.

Is my iPod trying to dictate what I should be listening to? At any rate, it worked. My favorite songs of the day are all of the aforementioned Joy Circuit songs. Thanks, Hayseed, for bringing them to my attention.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

stranger on a train
Passenger

52 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Need Swim by Acetone, off of Cindy. HAvent listened to them in a while. Used to like them a bit. Lead guitarist and singer Richie Lee killed himself in 2001. Very sad.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Hayseed. I'll check in to Silver for sure - I do love Gold! I got my hands on Can't Stop Eating and do like it - although it's more mellow than the others that I have...

Today...
some Sparta B-Side action!

Edited by - rocket on 05/18/2005 09:16:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"One and a Half on a Hill" - House of Large Sizes

Originally found on South East Records' The Iowa Compliation #1 (which also contains the utterly amazing "Never Ending Ceiling" by The Hollowmen, also the co-favorite today but as far as I know, this release was vinyl only). "One and a Half..." does appear as a hidden bonus track on the "Little HOLS on the Prairie" CD.

As a earlytwentysomething drunken fool hanging with my friends who attended the University of Iowa, I drank many tap beers and rocked steady to HOLS' brand of 3-piece meat & potatoes Midwest rock, and caught them most every time they came through Chicago. I recommend most any of their output, starting with anything off "One Big Cake", "Heat Miser", or "My Ass-Kicking Life" (the cover of which is a neat representation of the band onstage at Gabe's Oasis in Iowa City circa the times). Sadly, the band broke up recently, after 16 years, but most of their catalog is still available and will make you fat, happy, and satisfied - just like meat & potatoes should.

FWIW, I had the hots for Barb the bassist, who would pogo in front of her Kustom bass rig in a sundress and pigtails

Check it: http://www.houseoflargesizes.com/disc.shtml
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  11:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I love women that play instruments and rock!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll post this here...
I just scrolled through all 7 pages of thread titles and couldn't find it...
somewhere in this sea of threads was a topic where we were all talking about where we saw Swervedriver or how we found them... and one guy mentioned his band - which I have since acquired - and I don't remember WHO the forum member is...
But the band is Seething Gray.
He mentioned something about people comparing them to Swervedriver - which is why I got it... but, I don't agree with that statement - to me they sound much more like the Buck Pets - still they are very good - and I highly recommend them so...
Seething Gray - "mirror computer chair" is the name of the band/album - what is the name of the forum member? anyone?

Edited by - rocket on 05/18/2005 1:53:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  2:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drmcd

"One and a Half on a Hill" - House of Large Sizes

hey man, thanks for the tip.

I'm diggin' the song "Wasp Killer" off the downloads page.

Edited by - boomer0127 on 05/18/2005 2:52:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  8:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damage I Have Done - The Heads feat. Johnette Napolitano

The album, No Talking, Just Head, came out in 96 and each song has a different vocalist who wrote, sang and arranged the song itself, all with the same backing band each time. Here are some of the vocalists on this album:

Gordon Gano: Violent Femmes
Michael Hutchence: INXS
Debbie Harry: Blondie
Richard Hell
Shaun Ryder: Happy Mondays
Johnette Napolitano: Concrete Blonde
Andy Partridge: XTC
Gavin Friday: Virgin Prunes
Ed Kowalczyk: Live

Now is that just me or does that line up sound kick ass? This album came out in 96 and I just recently ran across it. Does anyone else have it?

Edited by - hayseed on 05/18/2005 9:12:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  05:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rocket Seething Grey was one of Jeronimotowns faves. Not sure who's band it was but i dont rem that convo youre refering to. He sent me their cd COmputer Mirror Chair. I like it but its not like SWD much.

Today
Marcy Playground - Sherry Fraser
from Uncle E's WAB

Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  06:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Faith No More - Easy

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  07:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a loooong time ago Croz... it was also a thread where somebody mentioned Jez producing Cardboard Cowboy for the first time... I think?

Weird Hayseed - that Andy Partridge track you mentioned is on my WAB vol. 4 that I still haven't mailed out...
No Talking Just Head was pretty good I thought...

Today...
tHe drop - "spiderbite"
off - Iceland

Edited by - rocket on 05/19/2005 07:25:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

stranger on a train
Passenger

52 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  07:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lead me where you dare - swervedriver. My 4 year old daughter really likes this song.

The Buckpets, now there is a band I havent thought of in a long time. I saw them in Miami on their Mercuratones (sp?) tour. Maybe 30 people in the audience. It was summer in Miami, and maybe 100 degrees in Washington Sqaure. They put on a pretty good show. Not Pegboy good, but ok. I'm gonna have to go dig Mercuratones out and give it a listen.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  08:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

That's cool stranger. I first heard about them when they opened up for Janes Addiction (nothing shocking tour) at a tiny little club here in K.C. - they totally rocked and I've been hooked ever since.
Mercuratones was good - but, my favorite Buck Pets was their first - I think it's just self titled. I'd offer to burn it for you but, I only have it on cassette. I just looked and you can buy it used on amazon for $1.94. you should get it...
maybe I will... I've been trying to update some of my favorite cassettes to CD.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  8:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Supersonic - Oasis

That has to be my theme song. I have a gin and tonic every time I hear it.

Go to Top of Page

stranger on a train
Passenger

52 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Chicago, Is not Chicago - Soul Coughing
Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  09:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Sabbath - St. Vitus Dance off Vol. 4

Sabbath with a Smile.

Try tuning your guitar down 1.5 steps to C# and see what happens - SLUDGE ROCK.
My friend told me that Tony Iommi told him that Adam Franklin said,
"tuning down to C# is cool," and "I love Sludge Rock."

No Shit.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  3:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I did that once, but down to C. I had to buy a seriously heavy gauge of strings to make them not so floppy. You have to be careful though, cause it puts you very close to that Korn stupidity, but if you play thin, it can sound incredible.

Viva los Sabbath!

Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  09:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey folks, how is it going? Been so busy i'm numb.

deeper into movies - ylt
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  7:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Der Wizard - Das Balk Sattoth

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  8:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Soul Coughing stranger.

Hayseed - I picked up Silver by Starflyer 59 and it's crazy - they really do morph from album to album...
I thought Gold sounded like old Jesus and Mary Chain...
but then Silver sounds less like J&MC and more like Humm - some of the guitar riffs are very similar - and the exact same tone and all...
Can't Stop Eating is a nice mellow EP
but, Old is my favorite by a * or 2 and seems to have it's own sound = the sound of Starflyer 59.

these are the only 4 I've heard.

I'm bummed you don't really like their new one! especially because of K Andrews special touch - I hope he's not bummin too hard... I'm still shocked Year of the Rabbit was dropped!

Today...
Revolvo - "Silver Streak"

Edited by - rocket on 05/21/2005 8:29:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  04:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to my favourite record store today and got 4 $2 cds. Here they are:

Quinine - No Regrets
Cheer-Accident - Enduring The American Dream
Visit Venus - The Endless Bummer
and
Catherine Wheel - Happy Days

hows that for a bargain!

Today
Catherine Wheel - Judy Staring At The Sun
Cheer-Accident - Frozen
Quinine - Magazine
Visit Venus - Alive In 85

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  06:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rocket, Im glad youre enjoying SF59. Listened to Old coming into work this morning.

Ive been on a Johnette Napolitano trip these last few days. Everyone loves Bloodletting from Concrete Blonde but honestly, I love Mexican Moon better. The first three tracks off of that album, Jenny I Read, Mexican Moon, Heal It Up are outstanding. Expect to hear Johnette on my next round of WAB.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  08:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

work on a Sunday? bummer... yeah - I would like to eventually get the entire Starflyer 59 collection!

Croz - Happy Days is a great album - it has some of Catherine Wheels most metal moments - but, despite that - the vocals always pull them to another level. "Heal" is one of my faves on that one - but, it's all great. Nice $2 score for sure.

Today...
Swervedriver - Never Lose That Feeling (full length version of course)

Go to Top of Page

stranger on a train
Passenger

52 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  09:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laze it up Swervedriver live from this site.

Im gonna lay out at the pool today w/ the kids and make em listen to raise all day. hehe. Real loud.
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  12:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

I guess I'll post this here...
I just scrolled through all 7 pages of thread titles and couldn't find it...
somewhere in this sea of threads was a topic where we were all talking about where we saw Swervedriver or how we found them... and one guy mentioned his band - which I have since acquired - and I don't remember WHO the forum member is...
But the band is Seething Gray.
He mentioned something about people comparing them to Swervedriver - which is why I got it... but, I don't agree with that statement - to me they sound much more like the Buck Pets - still they are very good - and I highly recommend them so...
Seething Gray - "mirror computer chair" is the name of the band/album - what is the name of the forum member? anyone?

The forum member was Peter Horvath, its on the "I'm getting older" thread. I recommended it.

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  12:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pollyanna- T-shirt tan All thanks to Croz!

Life is good everyone! Hope all is well with you folks. Its been a while!

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  7:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yay! <cue "Welcome Back, Kotter" theme>

we were worried, man. I guess Croz was right...well played.

Tonite - "Hyper Enough" by Superchunk off Jeronimo's Petrol Visions

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  01:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahahahaha

A ripper of a 911 post j-mo!

Today
Seam - King Rice

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  07:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hurray Jeronimo - I new you would know... ya know?

Today...
Starflyer 59 - "Passengers"
off - Old

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  08:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bonemarrow - Mellowdrone

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  12:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do Make Say Think - Fredericia

Go to Top of Page

stranger on a train
Passenger

52 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  07:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the songs from our favorite 80's movies - Bouncing Souls

I really love this thread. I've found so many new bands from it. Thanks again and keep em coming.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000