Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 149

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  07:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Ambulance LTD - "Heavy Lifting"

simply can't get enough of this disk - I've listened to it almost every day for about 2 weeks now!

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  07:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

I did that once, but down to C. I had to buy a seriously heavy gauge of strings to make them not so floppy. You have to be careful though, cause it puts you very close to that Korn stupidity, but if you play thin, it can sound incredible.

Viva los Sabbath!

I think the stupidity has more to do with Korn than down tuning, also, I believe Korn uses 7 string guitars. Because Kyuss tunes down to B on "Wretch" and it is tits. It's really somewhere between B and C if you tune to the record. I think they tune to C for most of thier other stuff. Kyuss - "The Law"
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  09:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Kyuss was great. I think it is indeed a matter of tone. If you go down that low and you're total metal, you'll sound like Korn. I lucked out cause I tend to play with a pretty thin twangy almost country tone, so it wound up sounding pretty cool. Im gonna have to do that again.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interloper, How do you like the stacked humbucker? Is it one stacked and two single coils? How does that compare to 3 single coils? I've been thinking about a strat for a few years now and I want to know this stuff, but I don't trust the product reviews on Musicians Friend and sites like that and there are no shops around me that stock strats with the stacked 'buckers.
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"White Elephant" - Volcano Suns, from "Bright Orange Years"
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

3 single coils are pretty damn loud! - I'm going through the same thing right now. However - if you get the noiseless single coils = they rock! Great sound without all the hum. My buddy just got rid of his lead noiseless single coil and replaced it with a screamin' demon - that sounds great too - it really does scream! But, almost too much - the harmonics just fly off that baby so much that it is hard to play muted string tones if you like to hack a bit.
I'm going to go with a stacked humbucker with my new strat - but, not the screamin deamon... I think I'm going to get the more basic seymore duncun called a Jr. or something like that - just to get rid of some of that single coil hum.
you can go to seymore's web site and play song samples that highlight the different pick up tones...

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  3:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattW

interloper, How do you like the stacked humbucker? Is it one stacked and two single coils? How does that compare to 3 single coils? I've been thinking about a strat for a few years now and I want to know this stuff, but I don't trust the product reviews on Musicians Friend and sites like that and there are no shops around me that stock strats with the stacked 'buckers.

The stacked bucker is pretty hot. I needed a little more "ass" if you will on the gain side of things, and it gave me just that. They're hotter sounding. Strat single coils are great sounding, but they are noisy usually, and aren't that ballsy if you ask me. The best sounding guitar to me to this day is the Ibanez I got when I was 16. Still has the stock pickups. That's just me though, everyone's comfortable on different guitars.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  11:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how cool is the twangy bit in Heavy Lifting! Im such a fan of that LP. And the Farty sounding bass when it kicks in! WOW. Each track has a different feel. so good.

Today
in tribute to their new website,
Decoder Ring - Collapse Coming On
http://www.decoderring.com.au/

My favourite Australian band

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  05:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
She's Beside Herself from the Bluebird Theatre show.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  05:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was "Hush" by TOOL. . .
until I remembered that Smokey and the Bandit was on last night on AMC,
so I give a honorary nod to "Eastbound and Down" (or whatever it's called)
by Jerry Reed.
Go to Top of Page

stranger on a train
Passenger

52 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  06:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Creeps by Social Distortion

Eastbound and Down, theres a song that can get stuck in your mind. Im gonna walk around the office singing it for a while and see how many guys get sucked into singing it. Hehe the simple evil joys of annoying your co-workers. Although one of the guys got me singing the falsetto part of "How do you mend a broken heart" the other day. I owe that bastard.
Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The stacked bucker is pretty hot. I needed a little more "ass" if you will on the gain side of things, and it gave me just that. They're hotter sounding. Strat single coils are great sounding, but they are noisy usually, and aren't that ballsy if you ask me. The best sounding guitar to me to this day is the Ibanez I got when I was 16. Still has the stock pickups. That's just me though, everyone's comfortable on different guitars.

I'd be more comfortable with at least 3 guitars, OK, 4.
A standard 3 single coil strat
A H-S-S strat
A Les Paul or SG
A Gibson ES-335. . .
OK, 5. . .
A Tele.

What's the pickup config. on the Ibanez?
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do love my SG - but, I don't play it near as much as my Strat - it's just not as versatile...

Today...
Medicine - "Never Click"
off - The Buried Life

if you any of WABers haven't heard this yet... it won't be long now!

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd be more comfortable with at least 3 guitars, OK, 4.
A standard 3 single coil strat
A H-S-S strat
A Les Paul or SG
A Gibson ES-335. . .
OK, 5. . .
A Tele.

What's the pickup config. on the Ibanez?

2 stock Humbuckers.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  09:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

I do love my SG - but, I don't play it near as much as my Strat - it's just not as versatile...

Today...
Medicine - "Never Click"
off - The Buried Life

if you any of WABers haven't heard this yet... it won't be long now!

The record before that one, "Shot forth self living" is incredible. Loveless spawned countless MBV clone records that were all really good. That's one of them. The Lilys first lp was the same deal.

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  10:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I"ve replaced my original Strat pickups, which were these Lace Sensor pieces of shit...with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, and they have plenty of ASS, let me tell you. Mmm mmm Ass...don't I love it...especially the female kind.

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  10:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, ass. Lace Sensors do indeed suck miserably.

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  9:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The record before that one, "Shot forth self living" is incredible. Loveless spawned countless MBV clone records that were all really good. That's one of them.

I agree, "shot forth..." is incredible. it remains one of my all-time fav's, but it's probably not as influenced by "loveless" as you imply. I wouldn't argue whether it was influenced by earlier valentine stuff, though.
"loveless" was released in nov. 1991, and while "shot forth..." wasn't actually released until 1992, I had a def american promotional copy of it, without any artwork, that was dated 1991.
I found the promo shortly after seeing medicine open for chapterhouse in 1992 (before "shot forth" was properly released)...they completely blew me away.
I remember that there were two female vocalists in the band for that show. turns out that in addition to beth thompson, annette zilinskas (originally from the bangles) also sang.

"you, too, can exist in your very own parallel time" -the watchmaker
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  9:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Reason Is Treason - Kasabian

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  12:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my electronica loving friend had told me of Kasabian but im waiting to get my copy. Is it any good Hayseeder? I dont trust my mate much these days.

today I have been listening to Oasis' new one, but im not liking it much yet. Same with Do Make Say Think, not really keen....

Sugar - Come Around
Onya Brooks! Excellent stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Zedhead
Assistant Driver

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  03:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Zedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Us Girls - Sway

Sure is dreamy...

"That boy sure does like his whammy bar..."
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  04:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crozarey

my electronica loving friend had told me of Kasabian but im waiting to get my copy. Is it any good Hayseeder? I dont trust my mate much these days.

Sugar - Come Around
Onya Brooks! Excellent stuff.

Gotta love that Sugar EP! I dig Kasabian. They are kind of a blend of a lot of bands you've heard before. A few which come to mind are Stereo MCs, Morcheeba, Stone Roses, and Cyamande (at least thats what I hear). HA! I put the CD on while I'm typing this and now my wife is shaking her ass to Club Foot in the hall! It's only 7:30 in the morning! So, yeah Kasabian is not ground breaking, but good stuff!

Today it's: Geezers by Brian Jonestown Massacre!

Lead singer (Anton)is one fucked up dude! He wrote this song for Tim Burgess of the Charlatans to sing, but Tim backed out at the last minute once he realized how crazy Anton was....supposedly. Found out about thses guys after watching the movie DiG! It's a documentary following BJM and the Dandy Warhols. Brilliant stuff! At moments, it's better than Spinal Tap! Anton may be crazy, but he is talented! If you dig bands like Spiritualized, Galaxy 500, or The Dandy Warhols, you will like BJM! The liner notes are worth the price alone!

I gotta get ready for work now! Y'all made me late!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Edited by - Brooks on 05/26/2005 04:59:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  05:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I gotta see that film. Im told that the self destructive one is a carbon copy of a certain friend of mine.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  05:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be Anton!

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  06:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Kinski - "The Wives of Artie Shaw"

http://subpop.dev.slam.cc/downloads/free/The_Wives_of_Artie_Shaw310.mp3

Interesting, has an "Afterglow"-like riff resolving the chaos in the middle.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  06:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks

That would be Anton!

Yeah, we have one of those in my town. Genius, but crazy.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  08:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brooks hit it on the head with Kasabian, Croz. They have the ability to sound like a different band with each track.

Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where the hell did this come from?

Yesterday and today, I suddenly began singing the opening 4 lines to "Israel's Son" by Silverchair:

"Hate is what I feel for you,
And I want you to know that I want you dead.
You're next for the execution,
If you're not here soon I'll kill your friend instead."

I was never a huge Silverchair fan, I had the 1st album, but I was wondering about
how they are percieved in Australia. My friend told me that people there fucking hate
them. Then again, that was the same friend that told me that Tony Iommi told him
that Adam Franklin said, "tuning down to C# is cool," and "I love Sludge Rock."
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  09:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've never heard the Medicine you speak of Interloper!

that's crazy info em - I bet Chapterhouse ruled too!

I gotta see that film too Brooks. Love both those bands! Plus - I never realized (or I had forgotten) that the first Swervie drummer moved to BJM - just read that in the Juggernaut Rides info.

Today...
Modest Mouse - "Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes"
off - The Moon and Antarctica

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  11:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

did you guys know that Swervedriver toured with Medicine too?...

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  12:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

did you guys know that Swervedriver toured with Medicine too?...

oh, god yeah!
I was lucky enough to catch that bill two nights in a row at the Whisky in Hollywood.
let's just say that I screamed with joy when I pulled up to the venue on the first night and saw the marquee with medicine listed as the opening act.
by the way, wasn't it during that tour that jez and beth thompson hooked up?

oh, yeah, chapterhouse didn't disappoint, either.
strange as it might seem, I actually stage-dove during their set.

on-topic content...
today, I'm smitten by mbv's "off your face" from the "glider" ep.
god, I just want to hug belinda butcher.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  1:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

damn - you lucky dog! 2 nights in a row!

Go to Top of Page

stranger on a train
Passenger

52 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  2:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
em, I have a good friend who always talks about those shows. He lived in LA for a while. His other highlights are meeting the guys from DEVO and waiting on Fabio (who he claimed was a cool guy who tipped well fwiw)

cant get enough Good Ships today, i really love that song.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  3:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never heard the Medicine you speak of Interloper!

that's crazy info em - I bet Chapterhouse ruled too!

I gotta see that film too Brooks. Love both those bands! Plus - I never realized (or I had forgotten) that the first Swervie drummer moved to BJM - just read that in the Juggernaut Rides info.

Today...
Modest Mouse - "Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes"
off - The Moon and Antarctica

Yeah man, it's the record right before Buried Life.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  7:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brooks,

You aint kidding around. Club Foot sounds a ton like the Stone Roses. Good comparison.

Just got done working out and had Apply Some Pressure by Maximo Park on repeat. I imagine those guys get quite a lot of air play in Britain but I havent heard squat about them on this side of the pond. Dig that song. Havent listened to much else on the album though.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  08:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Today...
Swervedriver - Mezcal Head - the entire CD!
great way to start my Friday morning driving in to work and sitting at my computer...

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  09:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two songs stuck alternating on repeat in my head today:

1969 - The Stooges
Get Off - The Dandy Warhols

Whenever 1969 starts playing, I have this urge to jump up on my desk and start playing air guitar!

Rocket, I guess I didn't realize, or remember that the original drummer from Swervedriver went on to BJM! Weird! Kinda the beginning of six degrees of Swervedriver.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  09:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yeah - I'm thinkin I need more BJM...
I only have:
Tepid Peppermint Wonderland: A Retrospective
which is awesome!

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You guys might think I'm crazy - but, I'm listening to the latest
Beck - Guero
and it's great!

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  4:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You guys might think I'm crazy - but, I'm listening to the latest
Beck - Guero
and it's great!

hey, does that have a boards of canada remix on it?
if so, I want to get it for that alone. might be a limited edition version of it that has the boc remix
added bonus if the beck material is good, too!

now playing - fleetwood mac's "tango in the night" lp.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I don't think so em - I just read the liner and I didn't see b.o.c mixed in with any of the other samples that were listed... unless they used the guys names instead of saying "boards of canada" i don't think it's on it.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  07:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sergeant Politness - Failure. Imagine that.

Go to Top of Page

em
Assistant Driver

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think so em - I just read the liner and I didn't see b.o.c mixed in with any of the other samples that were listed... unless they used the guys names instead of saying "boards of canada" i don't think it's on it.

ah. thanks for the response, rocket.

actually, I did a search and found that the boc remix is only included on the "import, deluxe" version of the CD.

if interested, you can read about it here:
http://boardsofcanada.watmm.com/

I definitely need to track that down.

now playing - "vitamin c" by can, from the "ege bamyasi" lp.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  11:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pefect Saturday Afternoon tune????

Ampn' - Fu Manchu

to be played in conjunction with an ice cold Carlsberg.

Edited by - hayseed on 05/28/2005 11:48:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  8:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm drinkin some red wine and listening to "Last Train To Satansville" at the moment...

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  02:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Bloody Valentine - Drive It All Over Me

from You Make Me Realise ep

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  05:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is kinda the opposite of "favorite song today", but I gotta tell ya...

The new White Stripes sucks so miserably.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ran across a mix CD last night that I hadnt listened to in probably 5 or 6 years. I popped it in my player on my back porch and low and behold it had two Swervedriver tracks, Brenard Butler, Pulp, Sloan, Sleater-Kinney, Helium, Failure, The Smoking Popes, Spirtiualized, Ride etc.. Man I jammed to that thing twice last night. I woke up this morning with a slight hangover and no Carlsberg. WTF? Anyway, dont you just love it when you stumble across good music that you didnt even realize you had?

Today its:

Capital Christine - The Smoking Popes

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  04:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Motel Beds - Skymade Suit

nice link interloper bro!

good free music and lots of it! Onya man.

Go to Top of Page

jduel
Swervelette

Sweden
35 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  10:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mono-Halycon, just beautiful
Eliminator Jr-Two steps forward, rock at it's best
Future Kings of Spain-Hangin' around

I'm lost, thank God I'm lost
Go to Top of Page