Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  04:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzy Osbourne

"Flying High Again" Randy!!!!!!
"Lightning Strikes" Jake!!!!!!!
"Miracle Man" Zak!!!!!!!!

We ride the warp of space into the womb of night.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  04:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo

AC/DC-"Beatin' Around The Bush" - This could very well be my favorite from the Thunder From Down Under. Angus kicks my balls.

That's one of the greatest riffs ever in the history of existance itself. And don't get me started about the guitar tones on that LP.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  06:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Coldplay - God put a smile on my face

Yeah, yeah. I'm a big fat sissy, but I still think this is the best pop music going. Anyone catch the Austin City Limits performance? It's really good.

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  1:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Coldplay - God put a smile on my face

Yeah, yeah. I'm a big fat sissy, but I still think this is the best pop music going. Anyone catch the Austin City Limits performance? It's really good.

Someone has clearly hacked Interloper's account and is trying to tarnish our opinions of his impeccable taste in music by posting this. They must be stopped! At all costs!

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  3:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Clearly indeed. I didn't post any of that shit.

Today...

Nothing but masculine metal

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  7:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Queensryche- "Chemical Youth"

Don't laugh. This is a great tech-metal song. Reminds me of Fates Warning and Voi Vod.

Rage For Order is my favorite Queensryche album. Saw them on that tour with AC/DC. My ears have never been the same.

"Evil Walks" and "Inject the Venom" from For Those about To Rock. I do like some Brian Johnson era AC/DC.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  06:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to laugh, J-Mo, but Queensryche always reminds me of the time they opened for Metallica back in 1989 on the Justice tour. It was as if every Metalli-banger came out extra early to boo the shit out of them. Kids screaming everywhere - "Keyboards! Fuck that shit!" They ended up cutting the set short, to loud cheers. I think Metallica finally got the idea that Queensryche wasn't a good fit for that tour and replaced them with... The Cult (?). Monsters of Rock, perhaps, but not Masters of Reality.

Now of course, they are just an old whiny greedy lame bunch.

SOTD: "The Collar Sets Well" - Jakob - I dunno where I got this song - would any forum suspects like to come clean on this one?

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  07:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"velouria" - pixies. mmmmm.

www.myspace.com/thespeeds
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  11:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cant seem to shake Hell Below, Stars Above by the Toadies.

Today,

Pressed Against The Sky

If life is but a dream, wake me.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  11:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

You guys need to get over to www.qotsa.com and have a listen to 3s & 7s from the Queens upcoming release, Era Vulgaris. I THINK I JUST SHAT MYSELF!!!!!

Course, Im just a QOTSA whore. Keep that in mind.

Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  1:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

You guys need to get over to www.qotsa.com and have a listen to 3s & 7s from the Queens upcoming release, Era Vulgaris. I THINK I JUST SHAT MYSELF!!!!!

I agree. That song kicks ass.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  5:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

It ain't Rated R, but it's a huge step back in the right direction. That last LP was a snoozer I thought. You know shit is going downhill when your side projects are better than your main band. The last EODM slaughters the last QOTSA.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  7:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Krokus- "Eat The Rich" from the Headhunter LP

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  06:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, heres how I rate the QOTSA albums:

1. Queens of the Stone Age
2. Songs For the Deaf (Queens at their strongest. Homme, Oliveri, Grohl, Lanagen....whew)
3. Rated R
4. Lullibies to Paralyze

That first album just has way too many awesome riffs. From the sounds of it though, Era Vulgaris is going to be an ass kicker.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  06:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the first one is still the best. I love that one because there's still kind of a touch of Kyuss in the bands sound. I've seen that thing fetch high dollars on vinyl on ebay before. Someday I'll have it...someday..

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today,

Beware - Deftones, off "Saturday Night Wrist".

What an amazing song.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  3:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today. The new Black Sabbath album with Ronnie James Dio.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  7:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo

Today. The new Black Sabbath album with Ronnie James Dio.

WHAT? HUH? SAY AGAIN?

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  7:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nevermind, found it. Holy shit this is great. I had no idea there was gonna be new tracks. See? This is what I'm talking about with reunions. NEW SONGS that don't suck. The two they did with Ozzy on that Reunion disc are really great.

I heard a rumor that the deal was, once they were done with the Dio tour, they intend on doing a brand spanking new Sabbath record with Ozzy. Heard this Mo?

It better come with toilet paper, cause if that happens, I'll surely shit my pants.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  04:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about that Lopes. I listened to a Sabbath interview the other day and that subjesct wasn't brought up. They did say that Bill Ward was no longer intrested. Vinny Appice(Spelling?) is drumming on this new album. There is a new Ozzy album out though. I not too impressed with the first single. I have a feeling we'll be hearing it alot though.Ozzy has power and people love him. I like Ozzy. But he can bore me from time to time.

The new Sabbath song is bloody heavy!

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  4:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man

There's a reason the classics are classic.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  5:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man

There's a reason the classics are classic.

Right On!! I'm with you interocker.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Boomer - it was the Cult (Electric era) that toured with Metallica after the dump. I went to the show to see the Cult not even knowing anything about Metallica at that point... but, damn did Metallica blow me away! I've appreciated them ever since...

Today...
Jackie Carol - "Hospital"

check it:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=24467184

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/

Edited by - rocket on 04/22/2007 10:22:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  06:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I had got to see the Cult then. They were at their peak at that point I think.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Love and Electric were great albums.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  7:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah - though Electric is really the beginning of their decline imho. The spark of their metal light power ballads and the end of the cool sonic moody songs...
(tear)
but, Electric still really rocked - it was just a big change...

Hey Loper - I've been meaning to ask you dude. There was a really cool band like a year ago on your SLS Studios page - but, they've been gone for a long time and I really liked the track. I was hoping you might know who I'm talking about? - I'm not sure how many bands you've had up? They weren't metal - compared to many things you've had up they were just medium paced and lots of cool sonic guitars - and if memory serves me they had a bit of a Sonic Youth daydream nation feel to them... but, it's been a while.

Today....
Jackie Carol - "Time to Panic"

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Edited by - rocket on 04/23/2007 7:35:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

drmcd
Assistant Driver

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slayer 8-bit style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZ1d6ovVNw

Hiya folks. Will spare you the drama.

Geno: keyboard controller got claimed by its rightful owner. Holding out until I can buy something with weighted keys. Soon...

Brooks (with apologies to loper): man I could give you a great big hug for the Steely Dan stuff you sent me. All the stuff from '74 is samplelicious.

Thanks for not sucking: thank you. I like to not suck
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  06:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, good to see you around again drmcd! Glad you dig the '74 stuff. Man they were good back then. The wife and I are going to see them in May here in Boston, should be fun.

Anyways, todays song is.....

"Nevertheless" by the Brian Jonestown Massacre

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  08:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
America is Waiting-Tornado Alley

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today,

Breathe - Jawbox

Courtesy of my super, duper 90's playlist!

Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  2:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
whoa. am i to understand that there are some fellow steely dan fans here? usually i don't mention my deep affinity for them because...well, you know...to some people it's very cool, but to others it's a stigma. but just for that, i will fire up "charlie freak" and declare it my SOTD.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  4:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cult- "Lil' Devil"

I'm not a fan of Sonic Temple at all.

But I do like The Stone Temple- "Dead And Bloated"

Judas Priest- "Turning Circles"

Danko Jones- "Forget my Name" These guys rock! Interloper, you should check them out.

Huck Johns- "Oh, Yeah" These guys can rock as well!

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  03:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chevega

whoa. am i to understand that there are some fellow steely dan fans here? usually i don't mention my deep affinity for them because...well, you know...to some people it's very cool, but to others it's a stigma. but just for that, i will fire up "charlie freak" and declare it my SOTD.

Yes! You are correct, but I believe it's just you, me, and drmcd. Maybe Croz too? We are a strange breed I guess, but yes, I am a Steely Dan junkie! In fact, I even dig the newer stuff!

Edited by - Brooks on 04/25/2007 04:00:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  05:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a SOTD:

"(Now That's) The Barclords" - Urge Overkill

Hadn't heard that in ages, just popped up on the MP3 player here at work.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  07:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by rocket

Hey Loper - I've been meaning to ask you dude. There was a really cool band like a year ago on your SLS Studios page - but, they've been gone for a long time and I really liked the track. I was hoping you might know who I'm talking about? - I'm not sure how many bands you've had up? They weren't metal - compared to many things you've had up they were just medium paced and lots of cool sonic guitars - and if memory serves me they had a bit of a Sonic Youth daydream nation feel to them... but, it's been a while.

I can't say with absolute certainty, but it may have been Benchwarmer. They're from Pittsburg, and they're absolutely fantastic. We canned one song and it should be on the page, check it again. We've also done all the basic tracks for their next LP. It's just a matter of getting them in to finish up. Sounds really great so far.

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Zeppelin - In my time of Dying

It just never gets old.

Moving sucks.

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  10:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Loper - I'll check again - but, the band I was looking for appeared to be gone... It is the SLS page right?

One of my buds that I play with is a big time Steely Dan fan! He plays them every now and then and has added a few killer tracks to a couple mixes...
I always enjoy it - but, I don't own any full recordings...

Today...
I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - "According to Plan"
off - Fear Is On Our Side

bought the full album on iTunes last night - it's really great. They have the 80's Joy Devision etc. sound goin' on with a new twist...
Thanks for the tip Moen! - I think I heard about them from your last WAB...

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  11:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey Interloper - It's not Benchwarmer - The band I'm trying to figure out was much different than their sound... more like a pumped up Motel Beds - but that's a horrible description...
Benchwarmer does sound good though!
I really love your Kalva Kota "Hindi Mindi" track btw!

Go to Top of Page

Eugene
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  11:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eugene's Homepage  Click to see Eugene's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocket

Thanks Loper - I'll check again - but, the band I was looking for appeared to be gone... It is the SLS page right?

One of my buds that I play with is a big time Steely Dan fan! He plays them every now and then and has added a few killer tracks to a couple mixes...

Today...

bought the full album on iTunes last night - it's really great. They have the 80's Joy Devision etc. sound goin' on with a new twist...

Gawd..it's amazing how loyal Steely Dan fans are. I can take 'em or leave 'em, and it was always that I didn't like Donald Fagen's voice. They tend to do the same thing over and over, and if you like that fusion/pop sound, they've got some catchy tunes, and ridiculously complex arrangements, all of which I'm sure are meticulously charted. I think what is most brilliant about 'em though is not the actual music itself, but the lyrics. Talk about some dark, sarcastic stuff and oftimes hilarious themes..

I suppose if you like any of their material, you like all of it. Very consistent over the decadezzz....

www.eugenebenjamin.com
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  12:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been listening to an obscene amount of Clutch lately. It's all your fault, Hayseed.

So, today it's ...
"Eight Times Over Miss October"
... yes, I'd love to.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Interloper - It's not Benchwarmer - The band I'm trying to figure out was much different than their sound... more like a pumped up Motel Beds - but that's a horrible description...
Benchwarmer does sound good though!
I really love your Kalva Kota "Hindi Mindi" track btw!

Wait, was it Widows Walk?

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  2:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I don't know Lope?
Are they represented on your space anywhere?

btw
there is something about looking out the window here at work with the wind and rain and lightning crashing down and listening to
"So Long Cowboy" by Epo-555 (off Dexter Fox)
nice....

Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
brooks n eugene -- yeah, i do love the Dan's music, but the lyrics are some of the finest. i love fagan's ability to tell a dark, compelling story through use of vernacular and slang....it takes a lot of deciphering to figure out what he's talking about half the time, and there's usually two or three layers of double meanings resting atop the actual plot. i like the new stuff too, but not as much as their golden years. fagan solo isn't half bad either.

in other news, i gotta back up loper on two things:

1. benchwarmer are excellent indeed. my band played with them several times, and they are always a treat. check em out.

2. moving does indeed suck. i'm getting packed up now for saturday's move, and the weather reports agree that i'll be assured some classic pittsburgh thunderstorms throughout the day. good times.

SOTD -- "made up dreams" by Built to Spill.

Go to Top of Page

hayseed
Driving Instructor

USA
765 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit hayseed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. I just moved a week ago. And yes, it registered extremely high levels of suckage.

Today,

Sick, Sick, Sick - QOTSA

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  6:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eugene

quote:

Today...

Gawd..it's amazing how loyal Steely Dan fans are. I can take 'em or leave 'em, and it was always that I didn't like Donald Fagen's voice. They tend to do the same thing over and over, and if you like that fusion/pop sound, they've got some catchy tunes, and ridiculously complex arrangements, all of which I'm sure are meticulously charted. I think what is most brilliant about 'em though is not the actual music itself, but the lyrics. Talk about some dark, sarcastic stuff and oftimes hilarious themes..

I suppose if you like any of their material, you like all of it. Very consistent over the decadezzz....

I have nothing to add to Eugene's coment. I agree with every word.

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dio- "Evil On Queen Street" from the Lock up The Wolves album with Rowan Robertson on guitar. He was just 18 years old when he recorded this album with Ronnie James Dio. This song has a heavy bluesy riff.

I saw Dio a couple of years ago. Rocked!

Go to Top of Page

Jeronimo
Son of Swervedriver

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  7:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got done listening to live versions of these three songs from Saxon.

Denim and Leather,Wheels of Steel, Crusader.

Its hard to believe what some think rock and roll is about. I pity them. Thats what the top 40 is for.

Hats off to all the NWOBHM bands.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  05:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning ....

"Potion" by Morphine

Go to Top of Page

chevega
Assistant Driver

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  08:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit chevega's Homepage  Reply with Quote
an old friend of mine once told a story of seeing DIO play live in the early 80's...

unfortunately, i forgot all but the most important of details, which was that during the concert mr. dio wielded his very own sword and did battle with a "laser dragon".

i'm imagining an early 80's "laser dragon" looking a lot like something you'd see in an atari game.

i'm sure that its awesomeness increased proportionally with the ratio of one's inhalation.

regardless, "laser dragon" would be a pretty awesome band name, if you were prepared to take yourself not too seriously.

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  09:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You guys have triggered my soft spot for Diamond Head.

SOTD: The title track of Lightning to the Nations

Whoooooaaaaaaaaaaaa! Lightning. To the. Nations! Nations! Nations!

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 149 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000