2010 AF & BoM tour in the news
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  08:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Press is starting to show up about the tour. I'll update this thread ongoing.

http://www.theaquarian.com/2010/01/03/adam-franklin-spent-bullets-and-melodies/

Adam Franklin: Spent Bullets And Melodies

-by Andrew Magnotta, January 3, 2010

Adam Franklin
Spent Bullets And Melodies
By Andrew Magnotta
After the successful reunion of his band, influential '90s alt-rockers Swervedriver in 2007, singer/guitarist Adam Franklin has been keeping busy with a number of projects including the second full-length under his self-titled project last March called Spent Bullets. In January Franklin and his band called the Bolts Of Melody will embark on a U.S. tour starting in NYC in a 21-plus show at Mercury Lounge Jan. 5. $10 adv, 12 dos. myspace.com/toshackhighway.

After the successful reunion of his band, influential '90s alt-rockers Swervedriver in 2007, singer/guitarist Adam Franklin has been keeping busy with a number of projects including the second full-length under his self-titled project last March called Spent Bullets. In January Franklin and his band called the Bolts Of Melody will embark on a U.S. tour starting in NYC in a 21-plus show at Mercury Lounge Jan. 5. $10 adv, 12 dos. myspace.com/toshackhighway.

///////////////////////

Pine Magazine interview
http://www.pinemagazine.com/site/article/2092

///////////////////////

http://lineout.thestranger.com/lineout/archives/2009/12/15/swervedrivers-adam-franklin-the-comet-jan-23

WITH SONG AND VIDEO

Upcoming / Love Swervedriver's Adam Franklin @ the Comet Jan. 23
Posted by Dave Segal on Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Among shoegaze's first wave of key figures, Swervedriver and Toshack Highway's Adam Franklin has weathered the years better than most. His 2009 album Spent Bullets is a strong collection of mellowing/aging-with-dignity songs that more people need to hear. Franklin's knack for melodic grandeur and aching beauty remains intact nearly two decades after Swervedriver's halcyon days. For example, "It Hurts to See You Go" (off Spent Bullets) is a peak of poignancy for late-'00s rock.

It's weird that he's playing the Comet this late in his career, but it'll be cool to witness this master of muscular, emotive rock in an intimate space. Here's hoping he throws in some Swervedriver tunes to sweeten the deal, including that group's peak moment (see bottom video)

//////////////////

http://www.nycgo.com/index.cfm?event=view.eventdetails&id=216656

January 5, 2010
8:00pm
Mercury Lounge
217 E Houston St between Essex and Ludlow Sts
Manhattan, NY 10002

* advance $10, day of show $12

description/

Time Out NY Adam Franklin leads the recently reunited '90s English band Swervedriver, whose sound flits among shoegaze, grunge and Smashing Pumpkins-like malaise. Expect more of the same with his solo act tonight. Robert Pollard collaborator Doug Gillard is a very able indie-popsmith, whose bittersweet, nimbly wordy work draws meaningfully on the likes of Elvis Costello. Opener Regia goes for a pleasantly wispy Elliott Smith vibe.

//////////////////

http://www.avclub.com/dc/events/adam-franklin-and-bolts-of-melody-the-jet-age-and,144653/

event Adam Franklin And Bolts Of Melody

Also Playing: The Jet Age and Office Of Future Plans

* Adam Franklin

DC9
DC9
1940 Ninth St. NW
Washington D.C. DC 20001
202-483-5000

* Wed Jan 6 9 pm
Adam Franklin And Bolts Of Melody, The Jet Age, and Office Of Future Plans at DC9

With a frontman involved with so many other projects, it's surprising to find that Adam Franklin And Bolts Of Melody has the focus of a single-minded band. Franklin, the band's guitarist, singer, and chief songwriter, got his start with Oxford's mid-'80s outfit Shake Appeal before founding seminal shoegaze band Swervedriver, and later forming the more space-oriented Toshack Highway. These days, Franklin balances obligations to the revitalized Swervedriver with Magnetic Morning, his collaborative band with Interpol's Sam Fogarino, but allows his distinctive personal notes to spill over into Adam Franklin And Bolts Of Melody. The band's 2009 release, Spent Bullets, takes a distinctive turn from its self-titled 2007 debut with pleasantly lethargic sonic harmonies and electronic experimentation.
DC9 1940 Ninth St. NW, Washington D.C., DC

18+ $10

////////////////////////

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/music-events/adam-franklin,1056357/critic-review.html

Adam Franklin Editors' Pick

ADAM FRANKLIN
CD Review: "Spent Bullets"

In opening his second solo album, "Spent Bullets," Adam Franklin bashes one out for old times' sake. The aptly titled "Surge" features pealing electric guitar, waves of distortion and a refrain that is both tuneful and surly: "Don't come back/I don't want you to," the British guitarist growls above the clamor. The song sounds a lot like Swervedriver, Franklin's band for most of the '90s.

"Surge" is a winner but also a ruse. The rest of the CD doesn't follow Swervedriver's ploy of blending dream-pop texture and hard-rock onslaught. Franklin never unplugs, but he does slow down and muse.

Although no one will mistake "Spent Bullets" for a James Taylor set, beneath the plangent sound are grown-up reflections on life and love.

Among Franklin's apparent inspirations are French pop renegade Serge Gainsbourg and the quiet side of the Velvet Underground. Yet he also loves Jimi Hendrix-style guitar fireworks and classic Top 40 pop-rock: The chorus of "Big Sur" suggests vintage Steely Dan, and "It Hurts to See You Go" is a melodic cousin of "Crimson and Clover," the 1968 Tommy James and the Shondells hit. The ability to compose such sturdy tunes is Franklin's major asset, whether he's pounding with Swervedriver (which had a reunion tour in 2008) or pondering on his own.

-- Mark Jenkins, Weekend (Jan. 2010)

//////////////////////

http://events.austin360.com/austin-tx/events/show/89297404-adam-franklin-bolts-of-melody-featuring-ringo-deathstarr-my-educat

Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody featuring Ringo Deathstarr / My Educat
Wednesday, Jan 13 10:00p
at Emo's, Austin, TX

"Melody and power seldom went together so well" Ed Ball on Swervedriver Jan 1st 2009 10.02 am

From 1990 to 1998 Adam Franklin was the singer, guitarist and main songwriter for London-based Swervedriver; contemporaries of and label mates with My Bloody Valentine and Ride but with a more adrenalized rock 'n' roll sound, showing flashes of Husker Du and Sonic Youth. read more
Price: $10
Phone: (512) 477-3667
Age Suitability: None Specified

"Melody and power seldom went together so well" Ed Ball on Swervedriver Jan 1st 2009 10.02 am

From 1990 to 1998 Adam Franklin was the singer, guitarist and main songwriter for London-based Swervedriver; contemporaries of and label mates with My Bloody Valentine and Ride but with a more adrenalized rock 'n' roll sound, showing flashes of Husker Du and Sonic Youth. Then from 1999 to 2006 Adam recorded and toured as Toshack Highway, a gentler but no less inventive folky/electronic/film-soundtracky hybrid, releasing a full album and flurry of EPs, split releases, seven inch singles and the like.

In 2007 an album that had started out as the next Toshack Highway release became the first album to be released under the moniker Adam Franklin and was titled Bolts of Melody - which also became the name of Adam's adaptable, forever-changing and quite formidable live group. Sometimes a rock 'n' roll four-piece and at times expanding to take in pedal steel and piano, the live band and album showcased a return of sorts to the searing, guitar-constructed songwriting style Franklin's followers were familar with from Swervedriver days, but also with an air of the musical experimentation more redolent of the Toshack era.

In 2008 Franklin found time not only to tour once again with the re-ignited Swervedriver as they were raptuously received on their first tour for a decade, but also to tour and record the debut album of Magnetic Morning, his new collaboration with Sam Fogarino of Interpol, and record - with the Bolts of Melody band - the second Adam Franklin release, Spent Bullets RELEASED MARCH 31ST 2009.

Categories: Rock, Alternative

/////////////////////////

http://flavorpill.com/newyork/events/2010/1/5/adam-franklin-and-the-bolts-of-melody-of-swervedriver

Music
Adam Franklin & The Bolts of Melody (of Swervedriver)

The Mercury Lounge says:
Adam Franklin spent the 1990s as singer, guitarist and main songwriter for London-based Swervedriver, Creation Records rock'n'roll band. Were they 'dream pop'? Were they 'shoegrunge'? Go listen to them playing live and shuffle the words "dream", "grunge", "pop", "shoe" and "melange" to your own taste. Certainly their heavy melodies incorporated traces of The Stooges, the Velvet Underground, Husker Du and Sonic Youth.

Adam's 'All Happening Now' 36 songs project
http://adamfranklin.bandcamp.com/album/all-happening-now-disc-one
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/all-happening-now-1/id906424105

New Swervedriver music
http://swervedriver.bandcamp.com
http://tym-records.com/blog/2013/8/20/tym014-swervedriver

AF & BofM Band Camp - http://adamfranklin.bandcamp.com/
Adam Franklin Sound Cloud - https://soundcloud.com/adam-franklin
Twittter - https://twitter.com/SwervedriverUK
https://twitter.com/AFBoltsofMelody

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  09:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brad as always. Anyone going to the show tomorrow? I will be there. I'm hoping they have some merchandise, etc, or that he'll play some new tunes. I'm debating whether I should ask if any new SWD plans (tour, recording) are coming, even though I'd prob get the "you never know" reply lol.
Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  08:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://thedumbingofamerica.net/2010/01/04/history-lesson-adam-franklin/

CHECK LINK, looks good!

History Lesson: Adam Franklin

In the midst of the shoegaze movement of the late 80's and early 90's, Swervedriver were a band that stood apart from the rest. Not quite shoegaze, they were tossed into the category by journalists too lazy to listen closely. In fact, they were better described as epic grunge for the long car trip through the desert. Between 1991 and 1997 they issued four major label masterpieces (although it took Sony until 2003 to issue the third album 'Ejector Seat Reservation' in the U.S.!).
Rather than burning out, as did many of their contemporaries, Adam Franklin has continued his prolific journey by issuing albums under the guise of Toshack Highway, Magnetic Morning and as Adam Franklin and the Bolts of Melody. Whatever the monicker, his music still challenges and we were fortunate to get him to answer a few questions for us to close out the year.

TDOA: Your most recent record, Spent Bullets seems to move you back to the sound of the early Swervedriver records. What influenced your writing to move you in this direction?

AF: Does it? You mean like Raise and the early EPs? I can't tell really but definitely from there being a point in the early 2000s where I was doing more electronic and messing-around-with-keyboards and more acoustic-based material I'm certainly back to rocking out on an electric guitar again. We just finished a new Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody album to be called I Could Sleep For A Thousand Years and released in the spring and there are certainly two or three on there that I think could be on a Swervedriver record but equally there are a few that are much more 'cinematic' or something. I think a song such as Champs from Spent Bullets rocks out but has a kind of 'filmic' melody like it could be from a James Bond soundtrack or something - I like that! I'm just mixing it all up these days and I think you just go with the flow in a way.

TDOA: You worked with Interpol drummer, Sam Fogarino for the Magnetic Morning release which continues your trend of working with great drummers who write interesting rhythms. How did the two of you meet up?

AF: We were introduced by mutual friend Jack Rabid who does the Big Takeover magazine.

TDOA: Was there a difference in the songwriting process for you, while working with Sam? I think of your guitar playing as being very percussive, which makes me wonder how his counter-rhythmic style worked with your songwriting? Any similarities to the experience with Graham Bonnar?

AF: Yeah it's been a great collaboration and it's good to step into slightly different roles from what you normally do. I fleshed out Sam's tunes and brought in tunes of my own that we worked on together and it's interesting because each of us was tuning into what the other wanted to do with the ideas. I love the Magnetic Morning stuff - the live band was immense and I hope we can get out there and do some more when everyone has time. Sam's a colossal drummer when you're just in a room with him and he's saying "shall I play this?" and plays something amazing, "or this?" and does something completely different but equally as amazing. I've been lucky to play with some superb drummers - Mikey Jones the drummer in Bolts of Melody is really great.

TDOA: I remember seeing Swervedriver in Detroit, days after Graham Bonnar had left the band at the Canadian border. Can you tell us the story of what really happened?

AF: Graham could probably tell you more accurately - I have his number if you want it! As far as I remember, he had a girlfriend who worked in a bar in London but had gone back to San Francisco, where she was from, and he needed to see her. The tour just came at a bad time for him and we got to the Canadian border at Niagara Falls and Graham just kinda made a dash for freedom! We ended up giving him the airfare and he flew to San Francisco. Then he was walking down the street there and the Brian Jonestown Massacre picked him up in their VW Camper and he drummed on their first album.

TDOA: Counter to the ill-advised shoegaze tag that some put on you, you did a tour with Monster Magnet and Soundgarden in '92. The shoegaze crowds loved you, but how did the people who turned out for that tour react? Monster Magnet had quite a reputation for debauchery and I wonder if you can share any stories from that tour.

AF: The crowd reaction was great for that tour! Monster Magnet were a lot grungier at that point and sounded like a psych/Stooges type band so the bill was more complimentary than it might look on paper years later. Monster Magnet weren't remotely debaucherous as far as I can recall though! They played first and we were in the middle and all three bands were on the same label at the time. My main story from that tour is probably that I played drums for Soundgarden on one song at the Trocodero in Philly! There was one song where Chris Cornell played a solo acoustic Zeppelin-y number and Matt Cameron would just do a drum fill at the end to bring the song to a close. One night I joked "even I could play that" and Cameron and Ben Sheppard called my bluff, pushed me up there and there I was!

TDOA: When I interviewed Alan Mcgee, he called Swervedriver one of the most under-appreciated Creation bands. Can you talk about your experience working with him? I never felt like Creation did enough to promote Swervedriver, but perhaps you'll disagree with me?

AF: Alan's enthusiasm was infectious in the early days and we felt very at home on Creation. Everything was happening at 90 miles per hour back then though and eventually the band broke apart from themselves as well as Creation as the label snowballed into something else and the scene changed with the arrival of Oasis. But the first few years were a whirlwind and we wrote and recorded a ton of songs in a short amount of time and played all over the world. In the end you could say we were short changed or that some money that should have been due to us actually went towards keeping the label afloat - or perhaps that we ended up owing our US label for money that had actually gone straight to our UK label but it's not like we really earned that money anyway. There was silly money sloshing around in the early 90s and yet everyone was living pretty much hand-to-mouth. I think Creation looked out for us at the start though and those were good times.

TDOA: Can you talk about your experiences with the major labels? Do you think they "got" what you were trying to do with Swervedriver and in retrospect, do you wish you'd never been involved with Sony?

AF: Well, we never got involved with Sony, only by default when the Creation catalogue was sold to them. Who knows really? Being on a major label got us a lot of exposure at the time. Some of the people at the label definitely "got" what we were doing and of course there were a bunch there who had chosen "the music industry" as a career option when they didn't really seem to know or like any decent music but there you go.

TDOA: Is it fair to say that the crowds in America seemed to latch on to Swervedriver more than the fickle British crowds? If so, would you care to theorize why that was the case?

AF: The American and Australian crowds have seemed to have had more loving longevity somehow, yes. It's just a different perspective I think. There were people in Britain who knew us when our first album came out but had moved on when the second album appeared and this might possibly have been due to them losing interest and following the latest fad, for sure. You have to remember that the UK had three weekly music papers at the time and so they were always searching for something that might be perceived to be the Next Big Thing and bands that were happening 12 months previously suddenly couldn't get arrested! And the grass is always greener - if we'd been an American band then we would have been perceived differently on both sides of the Atlantic, regardless of the music, if you know what I mean. Bands like Pavement and Mercury Rev I think seemed very exotic to some music fans in England when they first came out and then you'll get bikers in Tijuana or somewhere who totally worship Morrissey! You do get different national mindsets and you really notice that more in mainland Europe.

We frequently talk about how most people's musical taste tends to stop evolving as they get older, causing them to listen to the same bands they listened to in their late-teens and 20's. We also like to theorize on why "reunion" projects tend to yield little new music or at least music that doesn't live up to the older work. You're a welcome argument to the contrary in both cases. Given that, please consider these last two questions.

TDOA: You're still a prolific writer despite having been in the music business for quite a while. What inspires you to continue to write and how has the process changed for you over the years?

AF: Well, you seem to be implying that being involved with the music business would have somehow worn me down so that I wouldn't wanna write or play music anymore! What can I say? That's not happened! It's just what I do at this point. The process changes in some ways and in others it remains just the same - you still might stumble upon a melody or a riff from just idly picking up a guitar and strumming it. I think possibly you become less self-conscious about it over time and maybe you just follow 'the muse' where it takes you. There are some songs you write that don't feel like they're your song or the words don't sound like your words but it if it's good you just go with it .

TDOA: How do you feel about playing live versus the early Swervedriver years?

AF: Do you mean playing live now versus the early Swervedriver shows? I love going out and playing live and it's definitely one thing that you just keep getting better at really, collectively. It's not like being a sportsman where eventually you lose your pace, although I suppose that singers sometimes lose some of their higher notes. But the Swervedriver shows we've played in the last couple of years have widely been considered some of the best ever, and by the band members also. We've played some great Bolts of Melody, Magnetic Morning and Sophia shows over the last couple of years. I even enjoy doing a solo show from time to time! It's all good fun and keeps ya out of trouble..

Jan 5 2010 Mercury Lounge New York City, New York
Jan 6 2010 DC 9 Washington, Washington DC
Jan 7 2010 Mojo 13 Wilmington, Delaware
Jan 8 2010 The Khyber Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jan 9 2010 37th & Zen Norfolk, Virginia
Jan 10 2010 Milestone Club Charlotte, North Carolina
Jan 11 2010 The Earl Atlanta, Georgia
Jan 13 2010 Emo's Austin, Texas
Jan 15 2010 Rogue Bar Phoenix, Arizona
Jan 17 2010 Spaceland Los Angeles, California
Jan 18 2010 Blank Club San Jose, California
Jan 19 2010 Bottom of the Hill San Francisco, California
Jan 21 2010 Rotture Portland, Oregon
Jan 22 2010 Media Club Vancouver, British Columbia
Jan 23 2010 Comet Tavern Seattle, Washington
Jan 25 2010 Urban Lounge Salt Lake City, Utah
Jan 26 2010 Hi-Dive Denver, Colorado
Jan 28 2010 Record Bar Kansas City, Missouri
Jan 29 2010 Empty Bottle Chicago, Illinois
Jan 30 2010 PJ's Lager House Detroit, Michigan
Jan 31 2010 Drake Hotel Toronto, Ontario
Feb 2 2010 Great Scott Boston, Massachusetts
Feb 3 2010 Southpaw Brooklyn, New York

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may seem like an odd question, but does anyone know how Adam and crew get around on tour? I know with Swervedriver last year they had a regular tour bus, but I doubt they have one for this tour. Just curious. I used to play in bands, so this kind of stuff interests me.
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last few shows that I was able to make it to they cruised a small conversion van, prob the same deal this time.
Go to Top of Page

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I figured, a van with a trailer. Buses are expensive to rent, just the gas alone.....my wife brought it up last night ("how much do you think he (Adam) makes a year?") which got me thinking about the van etc.
Go to Top of Page

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  06:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome show in NYC last night. They played 3 new songs from his upcoming album too which sounded awesome. A nice mix of bolts/spent bullets material. Songs I can remember (not in order): Seize the Day, Canvey Island Baby, Ramonesland, Theme from LSD, Surge, the 3 new songs, I'm forgetting the rest. He also did that wierd cover he's been doing for the last year (don't know the name)
Go to Top of Page

iDLB
Swervelette

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Send iDLB an AOL message  Reply with Quote
semi-odd question. did you happen to see if he is carrying vinyl copies of Spent Bullets on this tour?
Go to Top of Page

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  05:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, there was no vinyl that I saw. He had 4 cd's for sale; Raise and Mezcal Head re-issue, Bolts of Melody and Spent Bullets. He also had 3 T-shirts for sale a red, gray (or maybe brown, it was dark) and a black one. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  08:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/2010/01/nightlife_agenda_90.html

Wednesday, Jan. 6
Adam Franklin (listen) wasn't immune to reunion fever. He got his old band, guitar-assault shoegazers Swervedriver, back together for a tour to give those who needed it a nostalgia fix. From the sounds of his new album, "Spent Bullets," Franklin got most of the noise out of his system. It maintains the dreamy quality of Swerverdriver, but hazy acoustic ballads take the place of swirling, effects-laden electric guitar freakouts. It's a good trade for Franklin, because it gives him a chance to showcase his songwriting skills, which come to the forefront when less mayhem surrounds him. Local faves the Jet Age (listen), who released another excellent album, "in 'Love,'" open at DC9.

/////////////////////////////////

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/music/2010/01/05/adam-franklin-back-to-philly/

January 5th, 2010
Adam Franklin Back To Philly

adamfranklin

This should be a pretty great show. Adam Franklin, of course, is the singer-guitarist behind Swervedriver, and while that band's muscular brand of shoegazer-rock has rightfully been lauded over the years, Franklin's solo work - especially recently with his band Bolts of Melody - is equally commanding. For long-time fans, it's interesting to hear how Franklin's vocal range, song structures, and sonic palette have evolved; he's mellowed a bit (not too much - there's still plenty of distortion pedals in his rig) and his psychedelic urges, though perhaps quieter and a tad more melodic, remain hypnotic, engaging, and bittersweet. Franklin and band have just put the wraps on a new album, I Could Sleep For A Thousand Years, a quick follow-up to last year's excellent Spent Bullets, so you'll probably hear a ton of new stuff tonight. Possibly a few Swervedriver classic, too, but since that band is now semi-reunited, perhaps not.

And if you're going, definitely be sure to get there early for Wilmington shoegazers The Sky Drops, one of our favorites for sure.

After the jump, a bit of our interview with Franklin from last summer when he was in town playing in support of Spent Bullets, in case you missed it:

Oh yeah, tell me about the lineup you have now.
It's Locksley Taylor, he's from SIANspheric, he's playing guitar. He's been playing guitar with me for a few years. Josh Stoddard on bass. And then the drummer is Mikey Jones, who plays in Josh's band the Still Out, from New York. So we flew out to San Diego and had three days' rehearsal and it sounded great, and that first show, everyone thought it was probably the best sort've Adam Franklin and the Bolts of Melody show yet, which is cool. And we did the whole run up the West Coast, up to Seattle, and then unfortunately Josh injured his foot - he broke his foot and he's actually flown home to Nashville for surgery. So we were a bit concerned who was gonna play bass, but we got this kid Craig Wilson, who's the keyboardist in the Church, to play bass. He was already playing keyboards with us on one of the songs, so he came with us in the van for a day and learned the set, and we had a two-hour rehearsal in Chicago, and he's been doing pretty good so far.

That's good. I've seen a few clips from the tour on YouTube - it's cool to hear how some of the songs have evolved from the recordings. You feel pretty good about the new life these songs have taken on?
Definitely, yeah. The live thing's always a bit different from the studio, and I always think they should be approached in different ways. You can have more instrumentation in the studio, and then you figure out a way of doing all of that live, and some of the songs you change the arrangements here and there, but I think it sounds pretty good. I guess I should check out YouTube because I didn't realize there was stuff out there already.

Oh yeah, people are on it. So over the past year you've gone between a lot of projects - the Swervedriver reunion, Magnetic Morning, your solo stuff, SophiaŠis it easy to separate the moods and demands of each project, or do they in any way bleed into one another or influence each project?
Well, I think there's a basic element which is consistent there, which is that it's me - it sounds obvious, but it's me playing the same guitar through more or less the same amplifier configuration [laughs]. But certainly I've never suddenly burst into "Rave Down" during a Sophia set or anything like that [laughs].

Well no, but as far as the moods go, do you look at them all as separate, distinct outlets or is it all part of a whole?
Well, I think it's good to tap into all those different vibes going on in all those bands. The first time me and [Swervedriver bassist] Steve George did a Sophia tour back in 1998 or '99, whatever it was, I think that year we did two or three Swervedriver things in the States and a thing in Australia as well, and that was always much more a full-on, crowd-going-crazy thing, you know, while we're up onstage rocking out, and in between we were doing Sophia in Europe and at that point Sophia was a sort of sit-down band cause Robin liked it that way that we were all sittin' down onstage, so it was quite a contrast, back to back - one minute you have people jumping up and down and then you're playing a room in France or Germany and playing this quiet music. But it keeps things more interesting, you know?

When you're working on a record, are you conscious of the fact that there's an audience out there that will eventually hear it, or are you just sort of getting things out from inside of you and not thinking about how others will react to it?
Hmm, I think ultimately you remain true to yourself creatively. But at the same time I suppose you're aware that, you know, you think, "Well I guess people are gonna wanna hear me rockin' out on guitar, so perhaps we'll rock out a bit," or something. I dunno. I mean, I think you're definitely not doing it totally for yourself, you gotta have one ear out, you know?

Did the Swervedriver reunion play any part in the sound of this record? Not that it sounds like Swervedriver, really, but there are some of those familiar guitar textures.
Well, it's interesting because the guitars were put on Spent Bullets after the Swervedriver tour and I think some of the guitars are quite heavy. But it's all in your definition of "heavy" or "rockin'," I suppose. Some people have called the album "mellow." I mean, I dunno, I didn't consciously map everything out or plan it to sound any particular way in that sense - it's all sort of slightly subconscious, you just sorta get a feel for what's right. I think if everything was really charted out too much, there wouldn't be anything there to surprise yourself with.

Posted by Michael Alan Goldberg | Posted in News |

//////////////////////////////////

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/arts-and-culture/The-Calendar-January-6---January-12-80752817.html

Adam Franklin
Adam Franklin may have once had My Bloody Valentine open for him (in a pre-Swervedriver band called Shake Appeal), but he'd appreciate if you didn't use the "shoegaze" moniker to describe what he does. That's because his music, even with Swervedriver, has always been more songlike and less atmospheric than the typical sheets-of-sound outfit. Franklin's Bolts of Melody is the same band that hit Philadelphia last year with the Church-Locksley Taylor on guitar, Josh Stoddard on bass and Mikey Jones. They've honed a dreamy yet substantial sound, full of eerie guitar effects and sweet curves of melody. His third and latest Bolts album, I Could Sleep for a Thousand Years, is on the way in 2010. Jennifer Kelly
9pm. $10. With the Three 4 Tens, the Sky Drops + Rarebird. Khyber. 56 S. Second St. 215.238.5888. thekhyber.com

//////////////////////////

http://www.zvents.com/atlanta-ga/events/show/89348027-adam-franklin-of-swervedriver-bolts-of-melody-howlies-the-diamond-center

Adam Franklin (of Swervedriver) & Bolts Of Melody Howlies The Diamond Center
Monday, Jan 11 8:30p
at The EARL, Atlanta, GA

Price: $10
Phone: (404) 522-3950
Age Suitability: None Specified
Tags: There are no tags.

From 1990 to 1998 Adam Franklin was the singer, guitarist and main songwriter for London-based Swervedriver; contemporaries of and label mates with My Bloody Valentine and Ride but with a more adrenalized rock 'n' roll sound, showing flashes of Husker Du and Sonic Youth. Then from 1999 to 2006 Adam recorded and toured as Toshack Highway, a gentler but no less inventive folky/electronic/film-soundtracky hybrid, releasing a full album and flurry of EPs, split releases, seven inch singles and the like. In 2007 an album that had started out as the next Toshack Highway release became the first album to be released under the moniker Adam Franklin and was titled Bolts of Melody - which also became the name of Adam's adaptable, forever-changing and quite formidable live group. Sometimes a rock 'n' roll four-piece and at times expanding to take in pedal steel and piano, the live band and album showcased a return of sorts to the searing, guitar-constructed songwriting style Franklin's followers were familar with from Swervedriver days, but also with an air of the musical experimentation more redolent of the Toshack era. In 2008 Franklin found time not only to tour once again with the re-ignited Swervedriver as they were raptuously received on their first tour for a decade, but also to tour and record the debut album of Magnetic Morning, his new collaboration with Sam Fogarino of Interpol, and record - with the Bolts of Melody band - the second Adam Franklin release, Spent Bullets. Bullets walks beyond the ground broken on Bolts and is a more direct, varied and satisfying album than ever before. The power and melody that has always coursed through the veins of Adam's electric songs is in full effect on tunes such as Surge, Teardops Keep Fallin' Out My Head and Autumn Leaf. And then in the likes of Big Sur, Champs or End Credits, there are all sorts of other unexpected and intriguing sonic fingerprints - smudged evocations of Scott Walker soundtracking a French spy movie or The Temptations refracted through side three of Electric Ladyland perhaps. In short, some of the most sonicly beautiful songs of Franklin's career converge on one disc that aims straight for the heart.

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  12:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/cl_previews_upcoming_concerts_jan_7_12_/Content?oid=819154

Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody Given the distance between Franklin's most recent solo effort – '09's Spent Bullets – and his early '90s Swervedriver heyday, it would seem practically pointless comparing the two. But listen closely, and it gets less absurd. Granted, the guitars rarely red-line anymore, and the pace tilts chill rather than "Last Train to Satansville" urgent. But Franklin's laid-back vocals were underrated in the Swervedriver equation and still sound the epitome of "cool," and the guitar lines weave in and out of each other now with the same inspired intricacy – albeit more gently and quietly. But if his 2005 gig here was any yardstick, he can still seek – and find – heat on stage. With Radio Taiwan and Super Ape. The Milestone (Schacht)

/////////////////////////////

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/01/08/we-love-music-summer-has-gone/

We Love Music: "Summer Has Gone"
By Michael Darpino, 1:18 pm January 8th, 2010

On Wednesday night, DC9 played host to Adam Franklin & The Bolts of Melody as they made DC the second stop of their month-long American tour. The small venue proved the ideal spot to observe and enjoy Franklin's guitar alchemy and emotional vocal delivery up close and personal. The band put on a really special set for the modest-sized crowd of Swervedriver fan-boys and guitar-geeks who braved the winter's chill to catch this mid-week show.

This is where every review and article on the planet about The Bolts of Melody offers a quick rundown of Adam Franklin's prolific career. If you don't know the man you can read about Swervedriver (personal favs of mine), the interesting Toshack Highway project, and Magnetic Morning on your own dime. For our purposes what is really important is that after many years of self-imposed exile from effects-pedal, guitar work Adam Franklin, one of the very best, has returned.

Simply put the word to describe this set is "Wow". I know reviews are supposed to be a little more eloquent than that, and I will attempt to be shortly, but "wow" is the word that has been repeating in my head since the end of this show. Seriously, if you are an old school Adam Franklin fan and you are reading this, and your town is on this brief January tour, and you were on the fence about going because he has been goofing around with acoustics and electronics for years, go see this and you will be very impressed.

Without dipping into the Swervedriver back-catalog once, Adam Franklin & The Bolts of Melody put on a masterful exhibition that really explored the creative potential contained within the electric guitar. When it comes to guitar there are your power-players, your 'wall- of sound' onslaughts, your epic riffsters, your cold precision players, and so on and so on. It takes a real virtuoso to fully tap into the instrument's beauty through restraint and release like Adam Franklin did on Wednesday night. Every slight movement made seemed to add a new amazing sound to the rich sonic-swirl that surrounded the crowd. Franklin and his fellow guitar player stood surrounded by pedals using the countless gadgets to generate a thousand squeaks, squalls, echoes, and zaps adding layer upon layer of sound textures. It was really beautiful to watch, even more beautiful to hear.

The other great aspect of the show was Franklin's vocal delivery. The slower-tempo songs of The Bolts of Melody (as opposed to the majority of Swervedriver's barn-burners) really gave Franklin's voice the time to sink in with the listener. The show had a pretty powerful emotional element to it as Franklin's delivery ranged from world-weary romantic to wistful reminiscence. This was most evident on the amazing performance of "Canvey Island Baby"; a song that almost felt like an epilogue to one of Swervedriver's many car-obsessed songs of the past.

Sampling handsome portions from each of his solo albums, the set effortlessly swayed from the blissed-out shoegazer of "Autumn Leaf" to the mature power-pop of "Seize the Day" and back again. For an encore we were treated to a thunderous, three-song preview of their forth-coming album that hearkened back to the Swervedriver days and had me holding back the urge to yell out "I'd buy it!". Instead I settled for exchanging a few words and shaking hands with the man himself after the set; yet another benefit of catching this show at the wonderfully intimate DC9.

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  09:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.avclub.com/austin/articles/swervedriving-with-adam-franklin,36883/

Swervedriving with Adam Franklin
Adam Franklin, Swervedriver Photo: Johnny Moto
by Noel Murray January 11, 2010

As the co-leader of the seminal dream-pop/shoegaze band Swervedriver, Adam Franklin mastered the sound of revving guitars, hammering rhythms, and tuneful mumble. Swervedriver performed a lot of songs about cars-and crashes-at a pace that practically demanded that drivers listening to them press down hard on their own accelerators. As a solo artist, Franklin has gone for a more modulated version of the Swervedriver style, with less eyeball-popping guitar distortion and endless rapid-fire drum rolls but every bit as much molten guitar and sleepy monotone vocals. Franklin's two solo albums-2007's Bolts Of Melody and 2009's Spent Bullets-are appealingly trippy, but they're just as impressive for their songcraft. Currently on the road ahead of his next disc, I Could Sleep For A Thousand Years (hitting Emo's Wednesday, Jan. 13) Franklin spoke with The A.V. Club about receiving his due, getting raucous onstage, and having his dreams infiltrated by Sonic Youth.

The A.V. Club: After the very Swervedriver-ish Bolts Of Melody, Spent Bullets feels like a stylistic departure. Was this a conscious choice, or is this softer, trippier sound just where your head is at right now?

Adam Franklin: You know, I really have no idea. I was thinking it was a natural development from Bolts Of Melody rather than a departure, but what do I know? It's certainly kind of trippy, and I don't think of it as being softer. But I think it's a balancing act between the music and the lyrics, and the words on Bullets carry a heavier weight than on Bolts.

AVC: How much do you try to replicate the sound on your records when you play live?

AF: Sheer volume! The same with Swervedriver. You hit them over the head with the third guitar line, and they don't even notice that guitar line No. 1 has disappeared from the mix. We shall also be bringing Steve The Juggler on the road to provide further distractions stage left. No, I actually think that live and studio versions of songs don't have to be the same. And anyway, every song has a very simple, solid structure, so we're not gonna need an orchestra or anything. Some of the songs may well stretch out into infinity.

AVC: Do you think Swervedriver is finally getting its due from critics and music fans, even if it comes a decade or so too late?

AF: I suppose you could say that. Possibly. I mean, people liked us back in the day, and although the decision to break up was made in the middle of some miserable UK shows, we then went to the U.S. and Australia afterwards and had some storming shows. I think we split at the right time and then people started to miss us.

AVC: How enduring are your influences? Do you find you still listen to a lot of the same music that first drove you to pick up a guitar, or are there things you used to love that you can't abide so well anymore?

AF: I was digitizing some vinyl recently, and a bunch of records from my youth still sound as good as ever. A Hard Day's Night. T. Rex. Armed Forces by Elvis Costello. The '80s were possibly more tricky. You might buy stuff that you thought you liked, only to discover you didn't really like it after all. Although the Death Cult EP [by The Cult's early incarnation, Death Cult] still has a certain something.

AVC: What are you into right now, musically?

AF: I love "I Love You Too" by Dead Meadow and Eux Autre's cover of Bruce Springsteen's "My Love Will Not Let You Down." I played Sonic Youth's new album last night but dozed off to it, and then it was on repeat all night for some reason so it was infiltrating my dreams throughout. As I was semi-dormant I can't really tell what was going on. I may have imagined half of it. I certainly had strange dreams. There was a blackbird buzzing around the room like a bee and I had to put him outside. I shall have to give it a more lucid listen today.

http://yousetthescene.blogspot.com/2010/01/live-entertainment-options-11110-11710.html

Pick of the night

http://www.rockinsider.com/2010/01/this-week-in-la-vampire-weekend-adam.html

Monday, January 11, 2010
THIS WEEK IN LA: Vampire Weekend, Adam Franklin & The Bolts Of Melody, A.A. Bondy, Jam For Ron Asheton, Yummy Fur

Vampire Weekend Album Release Show At Henry Fonda Theatre Tues. Jan. 12th

Happy Monday everyone!

This first week back after the holidays certainly was a productive one! So many great shows so little time. I did manage to catch 60-Watt Kid and Glasser at Spaceland on Saturday. 60-Watt Kid BLEW MY FREAKIN MIND. Their lush spacey songs are will know doubt draw comparison to Animal Collective and Atlas Sound but their energy is straight up punk rock. If you haven't had the opportunity to catch this band yet do yourself a favor and make it a priority.

Lots of great shows this week including Vampire Weekend's SOLD OUT date at The Henry Fonda and Wednesday's Jam For Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton at The Roxy featuring Mike Watt among others.

Our show of the week however is a slam dunk at Spaceland this Sun. Jan 17th with Adam Franklin (Swervedriver) and The Bolts of Melody. You will want to arrive early for the opening acts. Also playing next Sunday will be a new project by Mr. Jack Burnside of Mezzanine Owls fame that has be christened with the name Rabbits. Jenni Tarma (Eskimohunter) Dan Horne (Mezzanine Owls, Music Go Music, Beachwood Sparks), and Chris Newcomer (The Arms) will also be sitting in.

Show Of The Week

///////////////////////////////

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/AMDB/Profile?oid=oid:934791

Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody

01/13/10 @ Emo's

While Polish ghouls Behemoth melt corpse paint outside; Adam Franklin does it a little kinder and gentler inside. Following up 2008's fantastic Swervedriver reunion at Emo's, Franklin and his new backing band continue mining that ecstatic reverb feeling. 2009's Spent Bullets has a Big Star feel, all sweet harmonies and breezy guitars, but Franklin still lets the feedback rip without warning. Local acolytes Ringo Deathstarr and My Education open.
AUDRA SCHROEDER

http://www.deadcoolshop.com/music+cinema/live-show-picks/psychedelic-swervie-live/

http://phoenix.metromix.com/music/concert/adam-franklin-and-bolts/1682052/content

Adam Franklin and Bolts of Melody

When:
January 15 : 8 p.m.

Price:
$10, $8 in advance

Event Phone Number:
480-947-3580

http://ticketweb.com/

The Rogue Bar

423 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85257

480-947-3580

This one-time singer, guitarist and main songwriter for London-based Swervedriver has gone solo. His first release, "Bolts Of Melody," became the name of his live band. Fans are likely to hear songs from recent releases such as "Spent Bullets' and "A Soundworld of Rain." Local indie rock bands Source Victoria and The Other 49 open the show. For age 21 and older. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainment/Swervedrivers-Franklin-still-rockin-81431782.html

Entertainment

Swervedriver's Franklin still rockin'
By: Tom Lanham
Special to The Examiner
January 14, 2010

Man of many talents: Adam Franklin of Swervedriver plays with Bolts of Melody in The City next week. (Courtesy photo)

SAN FRANCISCO - Adam Franklin might be flying just under the pop-cultural radar. But the brainy Brit continues to be one of the busiest rockers in the business. Over the past year, the singer-guitarist toured with the artsy collective Sophia; launched Magnetic Morning, a spinoff combo with Interpol's Sam Fogarino and released a solo set, "Spent Bullets." His upcoming single, "I Could Sleep for a Thousand Years," was recorded under the billing Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody. He also recently hit the road with his old outfit, Swervedriver, coinciding with reissues of his 1990s classics "Raise" and "Mezcal Head."

Did you have any idea you'd be this busy at this point in your career? Well, I didn't really think about it, I suppose. But it's good. It's really good. It's been a busy sort of time of late, definitely. And in Swervedriver, we certainly didn't start out thinking of it as a career, the way some people now talk about "Having a career in the music business," whatever that means. You just did it, really. And if you carry on doing it, you'll still be here.

How has making music changed for you over the years? It's kind of gotten easier, actually. I think we make much better records now, a lot cheaper than we used to, because you can actually record things at home - you don't have to rent out the big studios. And we're also not on some big label, so the money doesn't get wasted as much as it used to. And the music itself never goes out of fashion, and it's getting stripped down to what it's all about. These days, anybody can get their music out there on a worldwide basis - you can do a home demo, and someone in Australia can download it the next day.

What motivated this surprise Swervedriver reunion? The reunion happened before the reissues happened. But the greatest thing about touring together again was, we felt like we were outside of the music industry, and it was really nice. We had a booking agent, a press agent - we got hold of a bus and did the rest ourselves. So basically, the only responsibility we had was to rock the room every night.

Sounds like you probably could sleep for 1,000 years. I've certainly considered that a few times. Like when you roll back home after a tour and you need only one thing - to just collapse for a bit.

IF YOU GO

When: 9 p.m. Tuesday
Where: Bottom of the Hill, 1233 17th St., San Francisco
Tickets: $10 to $12

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  08:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.seattleweekly.com/events/adam-franklin-and-bolts-of-melody-887063/

A d a m F r a n k l i n & B o l t s o f M e l o d y D a t e / T i m e : S a t . , J a n u a r y 2 3 , 7 : 0 0 p m P r i c e : $ 6 A d a m F r a n k l i n & B o l t s o f M e l o d y A d a m F r a n k l i n & B o l t s o f M e l o d y S h o e g a z e b a n d s c a n s o m e t i m e s a p p r o a c h a s t a n d s t i l l , d o u s i n g a n y m o m e n t u m w i t h n o o d l i n g a n d e f f e c t s . N o t S w e r v e d r i v e r , w h o p l o w e d a h e a d i n a f a s h i o n b e f i t t i n g t h e B r i t i s h q u a r t e t ’ ¨!" s n a m e . D e s p i t e s e t t l i n g i n t o q u i e t e r , m e l a n c h o l y t e r r a i n s i n c e t h a t b a n d ’ ¨!" s ’ ¨!" 9 0 s l i f e s p a n , f r o n t m a n A d a m F r a n k l i n h a s o f t e n r e t u r n e d t o t h e i d e a o f m o t i o n . C a s e i n p o i n t : t h e n a m e o f h i s b a c k i n g b a n d , B o l t s o f M e l o d y , a n d l a s t y e a r ’ ¨!" s S p e n t B u l l e t s . C o n s i d e r e d i n s t e p w i t h 2 0 0 8 ’ ¨!" s S w e r v e d r i v e r r e u n i o n a n d h i s m o r e c i n e m a t i c o u t p u t a s T o s h a c k H i g h w a y , F r a n k l i n i s s i m p l y e x p l o r i n g a n o t h e r s i d e o f t h e d r e a m y t e x t u r e s a n d s p l i n t e r e d p o p h e ’ ¨!" s l o v e d a l l a l o n g . W i t h o u t S w e r v e d r i v e r , o f c o u r s e , t h e r e w o u l d n ’ ¨!" t b e b a n d s l i k e D e e r h u n t e r a n d A P l a c e T o B u r y T h e S t r a n g e r s . I n c a s e y o u s t i l l d o u b t F r a n k l i n ’ ¨!" s p l a c e i n t h e l i n e a g e o f g r e a t p s y c h r o c k , h e m a y b e k i n d e n o u g h t o p r o v i d e a l o v i n g c o v e r o f S y d B a r r e t t ’ ¨!" s ’ ¨ S S e e E m i l y P l a y ’ ¨ › o r P e t S o u n d s - e r a B e a c h B o y s . W i t h B l a c k N i t e C r a s h , N i g h t m a r e A i r , B r o n z e F a w n . D O U G W A L L E N

///////////////////////////////////

http://wweek.com/editorial/3611/13584/

ISSUE #36.11 * MUSIC *
Adam Franklin Thursday, Jan. 21

The Swervedriver founder's marquee sound precedes him, but he also writes a mean song.

January 20th, 2010

[PSYCH POP] Adam Franklin has always had his own sound. It was present even in the early days, when his band Swervedriver released its debut full-length, Raise, in 1991. The London group's hallmark distortion pedals and warbling guitar licks and frontman Franklin's queasy vocals combined to form a wall of sound that, while lumped into the shoegaze genre, was theirs alone.

Fast-forward almost 20 years to his latest solo disc, Spent Bullets, and Franklin's still working on that dizzying wall: The new effort may not be quite as loud as Swervedriver was, but Franklin layers his vocals, writes richly visual lyrics, plays seasick guitar lines and shoots it all through a labyrinth of pedals. Well, maybe not as many pedals as we thought. "People always say, 'You must have so many pedals,'" Franklin says via telephone from the East Coast. "I don't really. It's just stompboxes. I don't use a lot of Line 6 effects and things."

Franklin continues to expound on pedals he does and doesn't use, and it becomes apparent he could talk about pedals all day. That geekery is a key to his career: Aside from working with great producers-including frequent Robyn Hitchcock producer Charlie Francis, who co-produced Spent Bullets-Franklin has always been directly involved in the recording process.

That dedication to sonic craft is a two-edged sword, as Franklin's songwriting-just as unique as his knack for knob twisting-is often discussed as a distant second to his records' production. But Franklin tunes are packed with unusual, Morricone-esque chord progressions and highly visual lyrics that, taken on their own, read like beat poetry. Franklin epics like Swervedriver's "Last Train to Satansville" ("You look like you've been losing sleep said a stranger on the train/ I fixed him with an ice-cold stare and said, 'I've been having those dreams again'") and his own "Ramonesland" ("And even when you've got her you don't feel you're gonna get her/ That she's gonna float off sideways disappear into the ether) twist and turn to understated conclusions. Spent Bullets contains some of Franklin's best songs to date, though lyrically they're more brief and understated than free-roaming. "Winter Girls" is a creepy waltz full of classical-guitar flourishes and psychedelic vocal laments. The gorgeous "End Credits" is every bit as cinematic as its name would suggest, revisiting a longtime Franklin theme of the natural world reflecting the inner one.

While Franklin admits he's thought about his lyrics more since going solo-the wordier, more thoughtful Swervedriver songs were the ones he'd still perform after Swervedriver first broke up in 1998 (before reforming in 2008)-he seems more at home talking about pedals than words. "It's more of a subconscious thing. It kind of evolves, really," he says, fishing for the right words to describe his writing process. But Franklin doesn't mind that lyrics aren't usually the first thing people notice about his music. They're not always what he listens for, either. "There are T-Rex songs I've known since I was 5," he says. "And then I'll suddenly realize that, all that time, I didn't know the words."
SEE IT: Adam Franklin plays Thursday, Jan. 21, at Rotture, with Black Nite Crash, Incredible Yacht Control and Ezra Carey. 9 pm. $8. 21+.

///////////////////////////////

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/up-and-coming/Content?oid=3258655

Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody, Black Nite Crash, Nightmare Air, Bronze Fawn

(Comet) You can't call Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody's latest album, Spent Bullets, a comeback, because their frontman's never really gone away. After leading Swervedriver to muscular shoegaze-rock glory in the '90s with a trio of vertiginously exciting rock full-lengths (99th Dream was meh) and a grip of even better EPs, Franklin continued to write songs with Toshack Highway, Magnetic Morning, and then his Bolts of Melody unit. The rousing volume and expansive scope heard in Swervedriver's works may have diminished in his later projects, but the quality of Franklin's songwriting has not. He seems to have used the early Swervedriver gem "She's Beside Herself" as a template for a more introspective, spare style. The move's paid dividends in ruggedly handsome, exquisitely poignant tunes like "Bolts of Melody," "Big Sur," and "Hurts to See You Go." Never lose that feeling, Adam. DAVE SEGAL

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  1:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://straight.com/article-281349/vancouver/busy-adam-franklin-keeps-shoegazers-dreams-alive

Music Features
January 21, 2010

Busy Adam Franklin keeps shoegazers' dreams alive
By John Lucas

Guitar hero Adam Franklin generates his very own electromagnetic field.

To music fans of a certain vintage-those whose tastes were formed back when shoegazer was still a putdown-Adam Franklin has immediate name recognition. Throughout the '90s, the singer and guitarist led Swervedriver, an English rock act whose pummelling rhythms and blistering six-string workouts provided Oxford's answer to Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth.

These days, Franklin has a solo career going, with two albums out under his own name. For his current tour, however, he has adopted the band name Bolts of Melody, which, somewhat confusingly, is also the title of his 2007 solo debut and a song on his latest release, Spent Bullets. Reached in Philadelphia before a sound check at the Khyber, Franklin says he chose the Bolts of Melody moniker to differentiate between his one-man shows and his full-band gigs. But that's not the only reason.

"Another thing was that, you know, you're in a truck stop somewhere getting your morning coffee, and the waitress comes over and says, 'You guys must be in a band,' and then we're like, 'Yeah, yeah,' " he explains. " 'What's the name of the band?' And it just seems weird to be, like, 'It's his name. The name of the band is Adam Franklin.' So it's kind of just a way of having a band name to give to waitresses at truck stops."

Joining Franklin for his morning coffee this time around are guitarist Ley Taylor, bassist Josh Stoddard, and drummer Mikey Jones. Make no mistake, though-this is Franklin's baby through and through, and so is Spent Bullets. The disc puts the singer's distinctive baritone and his multi-textured guitar work front and centre on songs such as the lysergically mellow "Big Sur". Elsewhere, "Surge" is a dream-pop whirl of whammy-bar bends set to a driving beat, and, of course, "Bolts of Melody" is an elegant ballad that lives up to the promise in its title.

All of which should please fans of Franklin's various projects, which are numerous. First of all, there's Magnetic Morning, a supergroup of sorts featuring Interpol's Sam Fogarino and the Album Leaf's Jimmy LaValle. Also, Franklin is talking of reviving Toshack Highway, the more experimental outfit he fronted after Swervedriver split. Speaking of Swervedriver, that's also a going concern again, its members having convened in 2008 for a reunion tour. The reformed act saw some action in '09 as well.

"We just did some stuff in the U.K.," Franklin says. "We played a couple of shows in London and one in Oxford, and we also played All Tomorrow's Parties with My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth. And Sonic Boom from Spacemen 3 played; it was quite a cool bill to be on. Everybody was quite fired up after these recent shows, and there's talk about doing other stuff. I guess we'll see how it pans out."

That's not quite a promise of a new Swervedriver album, but it does give those aforementioned music fans of a certain vintage something to dream about.

Adam Franklin & Bolts of Melody play the Media Club on Friday (January 22).

/////////////////////////////////////////

http://www.westword.com/2010-01-21/music/adam-franklin-amp-bolts-of-melody

Tuesday, January 26, hi-dive, 720-570-4500.

By Tom Murphy
Published on January 19, 2010 at 3:14pm

As a guitarist and frontman for Swervedriver, Adam Franklin helped to write electrifying and expansive rock songs that went further than - and rocked a lot harder than - the "shoegaze" label they received from many fans and critics. Even after the alternative-rock backlash of the mid-'90s, Swervedriver continued to evolve its songwriting, and Franklin developed other projects, including Toshack Highway and his current band, Bolts of Melody. What Bolts of Melody lacks in pure volume, it more than makes up for in emotional nuance and textural atmospherics. Franklin didn't mellow with age so much as become more focused in his use of sound, dynamics and mood.

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  08:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=136&csid2=844&fid1=44022

Sunday, January 31
Adam Franklin, the leading force behind once mighty shoegazers Swervedriver, returns to Toronto under his new guise: Adam Franklin & the Bolts of Melody. Sure, there will be lots of tracks from Spent Bullets and Bolts of Melody, but maybe you’ll also get a shot at hearing an old Swervies number.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/up-and-coming/Content?oid=2106546

ADAM FRANKLIN AND BOLTS OF MELODY, BLACK NITE CRASH, INCREDIBLE YACHT CONTROL, EZRA CAREY

(Rotture, 315 SE 3rd) While other shoegaze icons of '90s yore have long since hung up their effect pedals, the voice of Swervedriver has undergone a bit of a career resurgence as of late. Adam Franklin's 2007 release, Bolts of Melody, was a welcome return—its gloomy closing number, "Ramonesland," is still in regular rotation around these parts—which was followed by Magnetic Morning (formed alongside Sam Forgarino of Interpol, and Jimmy LaValle of the Album Leaf), and finally a Swervedriver reunion as well. Touring in support of Spent Bullets, Franklin won't stray from his signature style—moody vocals, plenty of guitar, being the coolest man in the room—which is exactly what we expect from him. Anything else would be a disappointment. EZRA ACE CARAEFF

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2010/01/best_of_metro_times_calendar_d_1.html

http://www.freep.com/article/20100128/ENT05/1280324/1115/Ent05/More-live-music

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/columnists/timothy_finn/story/1709815.html

http://www.chromewaves.net/2010/01/contest-adam-franklin-the-drake-underground-january-31-2010/

CONTEST – Adam Franklin @ The Drake Underground – January 31, 2010

Adam Franklin’s resume is a long and impressive one – guitarist in Shake Appeal, leader of Swervedriver, principal of Toshack Highway, half of Magnetic Morning and title role in Adam Franklin & The Bolts Of Melody, with duties throughout all of them remaining consistent – craft guitar rock that ranges from the roaring to hypnotic and make it look effortless. And while technically Swervedriver’s reunion continues and anytime Sam Fogarino has a spare moment Magnetic Morning can be back in action, it’s as the last of these projects that currently has Franklin’s full attention.

Though his last solo album Spent Bullets came out just last March, he’s already completed a follow-up entitled I Could Sleep For A Thousand Years and set a May 18 release date for it. And while that’s a ways off yet, Franklin isn’t being idle – clearly that’s not in his nature. He’s currently on a North American tour that’ll surely feature material new and old and which stops in at the Drake Underground in Toronto on January 31. Tickets for the show are $10 in advance, $12 at the door, but courtesy of Collective Concerts (formerly the good folks at ATG and RMS, if you were wondering), I’ve got two pairs of passes to give away to the show. To enter, email me at contests AT chromewaves.net with “I want to be a Bolt Of Melody” in the subject line and your full name in the body, and have that in to me before midnight, January 29.

There’s feature articles on Franklin at The Georgia Straight, The San Francisco Examiner and The AV Club.

http://www.metrotimes.com/calendar/printer_event.asp?whatID=133618

http://www.sanjose.com/adam-franklin-e785821

http://www.sfstation.com/adam-franklin-e785821

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://origin.avclub.com/articles/adam-franklin-bolts-of-melody,7740/

With a frontman involved with so many other projects, it’s surprising to find that Adam Franklin And Bolts Of Melody has the focus of a single-minded band. Franklin, the band’s guitarist, singer, and chief songwriter, got his start with Oxford’s mid-’80s outfit Shake Appeal before founding seminal shoegaze band Swervedriver, and later forming the more space-oriented Toshack Highway. These days, Franklin balances obligations to the revitalized Swervedriver with Magnetic Morning, his collaborative band with Interpol’s Sam Fogarino, but allows his distinctive personal notes to spill over into Adam Franklin And Bolts Of Melody. The band’s 2009 release, Spent Bullets, takes a distinctive turn from its self-titled 2007 debut with pleasantly lethargic sonic harmonies and electronic experimentation.

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

bradsears
Forum Admin

Canada
1331 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  07:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit bradsears's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-10544-adam-franklin-cloud-cult.html

"The track “Bolts of Melody” serves as a kind of theme song for this band that strips Franklin’s music clean of everything but its essentials: crystalline melodicism, and his voice that has always risen above the maelstrom, with a few guitar riffs to keep your head reeling. "

New Swervedriver music

Go to Top of Page

fliming
Swervelette

1 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  11:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the Charlatans play live last week and it's easy to see where the last 20 years have gone with them!
Thank god the swervies are so timeless.

hair fall, psoriasis, skin eczema and for pasi psoriasis just read
http://www.healthyhairhighlights.com | http://www.healthyhairhighlights.com/new_approach_to_hair_transplant.html |
http://www.healthyhairhighlights.com/history_of_hair_transplant.html |
http://www.healthyhairhighlights.com/hair_loss_and_doctor_recoup.html

Go to Top of Page

meetpeter
Swervelette

1 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  11:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,
i saw "Charlatans play" last night i was awesome.
can i know who directed it???
thanks for sharing!!!!

meetpeter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000