swerve live recordings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  11:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People here talked about this a lot a decade ago but not so much anymore. I think most folks have kind of moved on from collecting live swerve tapes (not tapes anymore, old habit). But seeing them again a few months ago shifted me back into superfan mode and I'm back into collecting.

I like the idea of making all the live swervedriver stuff available to anyone who wants it, while at the same time working together to make sure everyone has the best version(s) of each show possible. I know some of you have things I don't have, but I also know I have a few things none of you have, not because I'm a jerk but because I'm sometimes lazy. Time to rectify that.

Who's in? I just finished putting a list of what I have up on etree here: http://db.etree.org/Aaaron . Happy to share. Would love to collaborate. I know there are tons more shows out there that don't end up on dime or anywhere easy to find. Let's all pull our stuff together and see what we come up with. Email me, reply here, yell really loud, whatever!

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2015 :  05:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got lots of boots, but they're mostly mp3s which I've got from this site. Judging by your list I think you probably have them all! I'll double check and see if there is anything you are missing.

I'd love a copy of the Dingwalls '98 show if possible?

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2015 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris! I'll get dingwalls to you tonight when I get off work.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  03:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaron has a lot of good stuff that I didn't even know existed and he's happy to share, if anyone is sitting on anything that's not on his list please let Aaron know. Cheers.

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  08:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a quick look at you list Aaron, you have a great collection. I think I have half dozen shows I didn't see on your list:

1-17-92 TT's - Cambridge, MA.
2-26-98 Middle East - Cambridge, MA.
4-02-98 Roxy - LA, CA.
5-30-98 CT.
6-28-98 RCKCNDY - Seattle, WA. (same day as Crocodile Café)
10-30-98 Buffalo

These are all CDs and I know some, maybe all, came from this site. Thank you again to whoever put that up years ago!

I noticed some of the shows on your list came from VHS/DVD source. Do you have the videos also?
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2015 :  1:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike!

You're right, I am missing 1/17/92, 2/26/98, 4/2/98, and 10/30/98. A guy may be sending me the roxy show soon but I'm not sure if he's been able to find it. Actually I bet 1/17/92 is 1/28/92 based on Adi's list of tour dates on that tour, but i don't have that date either!

I do have 5/30/98 in Connecticut and that 6/28/98 show isn't on the same day as the croc show. I taped both the rkcndy and crocodile shows, though I'm not sure if your tape is from my recording or not. Is the bass a little distorted? If so, yeah, probably me. Was using a friend's mics that didn't work too well with my dat recorder. But anyway, the rkcndy show was 3/28 and the crocodile show was 6/28, hence the confusion.

If it's listed as video and the end of the source info is VIDEO_TS, .mov, .mp4, or .mkv then yeah, I have the video.

I'd love to hear those shows I"m missing if you're up for it! I'd also be interested in hearing your rkcndy and crocodile recordings as they might be different sources. And I'm happy to send you anything you want (though dropbox). shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  12:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaron, you are correct. TTs was on 1/28/1992, and thanks for the help on confusion with RCKCNDY date. I also have an email comp called "Passenger is Wired". Taken from different shows from 99thDream tour and has a few songs from 07/15/97 TT the Bear's Place. BTW I was at that show and it was so good, and very HOT in there. That was my 2nd SWD show, the 1st was 01/28/94 Providence R.I. at Club Babyhead. And like you I have 6 songs(Thank you Napster!). They played a full set that night, Medicine was great also.

And I checked my CDrs, I have two radio shows that are not dated, I wrote "Aussie Radio" on one and the other has "On The Edge". Both of these are from Raise era and have interviews with Adi. Another radio CD I won on eBay is from August of 1998, Off The Record Special Westwood One. Its an interview with Jez with 99th dream samples.

And finally I have Bowery Ballroom and Music Hall of Williamsburg, June 11-12, 2008.

I don't use dropbox, but we could figure something out. Im interested in videos of the shows.

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  12:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found another Radio show on my hard drive. This was a rebroadcast done for the BBC from November 1991. Golders Green Hippodrome. Early versions of Scrawl & Scream(Glow) and Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn(called "Feeling"). The rebroadcast was in 2014, and the DJ does a phone interview with AF about the session. What I found interesting was Adam mentions that the band was working, at the time of the session, with ideas they had for Never Lose That Feeling. They had recorded a 4 track version and flipped the tape and liked what they heard, so they learned to play it BACKWARDS. I think they got ideas for "Lone Star" the same way, flip the script around. DIY at its finest!

Friday I ordered a TC Electronics Ditto X2, DELAY/LOOP pedal. And it does reverse playback, going to be lots of fun experimenting with that!
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  1:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those radio broadcasts (and rebroadcasts) sound very interesting! Never Lose That Feeling and Scrawl & Scream are a couple of my favorites. I'll shoot you an email to figure out how we'll share with each other. BTW, my copy of Club Babyhead was one of two tapes Brad sent me way back in like '95 or '96, soon after i first got on the internet. Who knows where he got it from. Even he probably doesn't remember!

I've always liked how the guys re-use parts of songs. No reason not to, especially when what you end up with is a way different take on the song. Afterglow and Scrawl and Scream are basically the same song but have a totally different feel, and both are great. Most bands act like reusing songs is taboo, and some don't even mess with their songs when they play them live. That's kinda boring.
Go to Top of Page

guernica
Swervelette

9 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  3:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see both of these:

01/23/92 9:30 Club Washington DC
09/28/93 Astoria London England

Does anyone have a copy of SWD video collection vol.2?

Edited by - guernica on 07/08/2015 3:36:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  12:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guernica, check your email for the 930 club vid. As for the Astoria show, the one I have listed is the one that's on the video collection #1 dvd but as I mention in the notes, the version someone uploaded to youtube is actually better quality. Is someone here responsible for that?
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  12:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On second thought, you'd better email me -- you don't have any contact info listed.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  04:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are mine:

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonoffordcapri/search?query=ASTORIA

I also have Sandblasted. I'll see if I can find the DVD.

Another user has them uploaded in better quality and has more songs, might be worth contacting him to see if he will share:

https://www.youtube.com/user/badtracking/search?query=swervedriver

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  06:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was listening to some of the radio shows and interviews over the past few days. I downloaded this radio interview, Villa 65, 10 years ago from this site. It must be in Amsterdam, because the jerk interviewing railroads(or attempts to) them about going to a "coffee house". The whole interview is just terrible. Worst part about it is the band played after the interview, BUT my file cuts just as they were to start playing. Does anybody know what/when this was? And more importantly, does anybody have the full show, complete with music? Aaaron, I emailed you this Villa 65 file, along with rest of "Aussie Radio" show. Did you get that stuff?
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  11:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, no, I didn't get those! Not sure why. I t think the show you're talking about is 6/24/92 VPRO. I do have that, though the quality isn't amazing for an FM. Happy to send it to you though. All the music is included. Isn't that the one where the interviewer tries to get Adam to agree that some of the songs on Raise aren't very good? He handles it pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

rappard
Swervelette

27 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  1:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swervedriver, 1990-04-04, Cambridge:
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/844bcde756c5d6b7b6ffabe5e435b72720150726091626/61dc0e35f9e51d74ebff6e2b8f74d41820150726091626/b09ec1
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  9:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome, glad you put the link up. not top quality but the earliest circulating show and very interesting
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  9:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dang - i missed that download.
would you mind re-uploading?
thanks

oink
Go to Top of Page

adivines
Assistant Driver

146 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  01:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live tapes you say? Here you go, all previously unheard (except maybe the Utrecht radio one)-

Edited by - adivines on 09/15/2015 10:18:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  02:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woah there!

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  04:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I feel a collective collector boner coming. Mornin' Adi.
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Adi, just wow!

And those are all from the early days when you were playing. Amazing
Go to Top of Page

adivines
Assistant Driver

146 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  10:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaaron
And those are all from the early days when you were playing. Amazing

They are all mixing desk quality too.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A SWD fan dream collection! Adi your comedy bits in between songs are the best. Always get me laughing. Electric shock city up here duuuuuuuude..
Go to Top of Page

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  11:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the love of god....please

A.) Transfer them to a digital copy before the tapes get ruined and
B.) Upload all of them please :)
Go to Top of Page

shallowdaydream
Swervelette

Czech Republic
24 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  06:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mpavlic08

For the love of god....please

A.) Transfer them to a digital copy before the tapes get ruined and
B.) Upload all of them please :)

what he said!

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeee

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in the rain.Time to die."

Soulseek: dreamsburndown
http://www.last.fm/user/shallowdaydream
Go to Top of Page

Yr Mechanic
Swervelette

32 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  2:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adi:

I agree 100% with what shallowdaydream and aaron said and would take it one further: I'd be happy to contribute or even pay for all of the cost of digitization if it meant being able to hear some or all of those tapes!

If you're interested, just post here and we can get in touch!
Go to Top of Page

shallowdaydream
Swervelette

Czech Republic
24 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  09:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yr Mechanic

Hi Adi:

I agree 100% with what shallowdaydream and aaron said and would take it one further: I'd be happy to contribute or even pay for all of the cost of digitization if it meant being able to hear some or all of those tapes!

If you're interested, just post here and we can get in touch!

well, it comes naturally that I would contribute financially to cover the costs with the digitization proces.
those shows need to be made available for the community and survive the digital era....

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in the rain.Time to die."

Soulseek: dreamsburndown
http://www.last.fm/user/shallowdaydream
Go to Top of Page

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  4:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be willing to contribute money too.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  05:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too. I want to hear these shows!
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  4:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an idea: See if Adam, Steve, and other swervie members past and current are into doing this up right, meaning original sources are compiled, coming up with a list of the best sounding or most interesting shows the band has from over the years (that they're willing to let out). Put together a kickstarter for us to throw in money towards professional mastering of the tapes. As soon as a show is ready to go, it's put up on bandcamp for like $5, and those who kicked in are able to download it for free. And so on and so on until we all have a bazillion swervie shows to listen to until we die, with big smiles on our faces.

Or we just help Adi transfer his freaking rad collection of tapes and call it good. Either way, awesome! I'm having fun just trying to transcribe the tape labels. the forgotten kawasaki tapes? what?
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  3:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swervedriver Live Gig 1
Wolverhampton....

like, FIRST SHOW ???

oink
Go to Top of Page

mpavlic08
Driving Instructor

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  08:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just make it happen. Take my money dammit!
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  04:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swervys.. All these years Ive been spelling it Swervies. lol Need to hear this music!
Go to Top of Page

adivines
Assistant Driver

146 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  02:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]like, FIRST SHOW ???

No, but I do have a tape of the first ever gig- 1st February 1989. In fact, I sent a copy of this to Brad years ago. See here-

http://www.swervedriver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3148

It's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

adivines
Assistant Driver

146 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  02:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Swervys.. All these years Ive been spelling it Swervies. lol Need to hear this music!

I spell it Swervies too. So does everyone apart from whoever wrote on that cassette case.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  04:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adi,

I tried to get in touch with you by facebook, did you get my message? Might be in your 'other' folder as opposed to your inbox.

Thanks

Chris

Go to Top of Page

interloper
Son of Swervedriver

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  06:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Send interloper a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Holy cow. Is this going to revitalize my SWD show collecting? I know I have at least 50 or so.

Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2016 :  09:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some interesting rarities have been popping up on the SWD soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/swervedriver

Go to Top of Page

Yr Mechanic
Swervelette

32 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  08:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for pointing out the new Soundcloud tracks, Chris! For those who have not listened, San Fran Gretsch is a new instrumental track that is really worth listening to. It sounds at once very Swervedriver but is a side of the band that I don't think has ever been heard on record.

There's no info on its provenance, but I would guess that it's a soundcheck recording. Back in the 99th Dream days, I got to interview Jez for my student newspaper the afternoon before a gig, and was able to watch their soundcheck. They did several jams like this in between more standard songs. Would love to hear more like this!

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  07:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice catch Chris, thank you! Sounds like Adam and Jez, and its great to hear AF "solo"! Great stuff. Happy New Year guys!
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  07:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adivines

Live tapes you say? Here you go, all previously unheard (except maybe the Utrecht radio one)-

Happy Ney Year Adi! Can we work something out to hear the tapes? Goldmine collection
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  2:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote

heck yeah - San Fran Gretsch sounds cool... the "solo" IS cool eh

oink
Go to Top of Page

CEddy10165
Passenger

88 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CEddy10165's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be up for anything to get to hear these shows and gladly pay too. Flacs via Bandcamp seems like a perfect fit. I also think there's enough skill, talent and resources in the band and community that backing up the tapes and mastering them could be done easily, it's just time consuming and the band needs to sign off on the legalities of an archive program. Back in the day of taping and trading many, many shows were transferred, mastered, archives and shared by this board community. If the tapes had enough highlights, it would be super cool to see a double record set printed up. Between Bandcamp, Kickstarter etc, there's plenty of avenues to facilitate projects like this. My love for the band never wanes and would love to see official archival product out there! P.s. The last record is still freakin' amazing.
Go to Top of Page

adivines
Assistant Driver

146 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  08:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CEddy10165

I also think there's enough skill, talent and resources in the...community that backing up the tapes and mastering them could be done easily

Not wishing to cause offence, but over seven years ago I delivered audio of the first ever Swervedriver show to this site and still no-one has done anything with it. So, there may be the skill, talent and resources in the commumity but perhaps not the will....
Go to Top of Page

Yr Mechanic
Swervelette

32 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  8:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made this offer a while ago, but I would be willing to fund the cost of transfer of these shows to digital versions (up to some cost limit, of course). Perhaps others here would be willing to pledge as well.

How widely and in what manner the shows would be distributed afterwards would be up to the copyright holders. Ideally some would be shared at the forum community, but maybe a portion could be sold commercially.

I don't have the time to do the work myself and agree that expecting a lot of work to be accomplished from the members of a forum might not be realistic, but if a professional digitizing service can be hired, not much "will" would be needed to get the gigs to a more permanent and potentially accessible form. Otherwise they risk being lost forever.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Assistant Driver

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  03:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Alesis Masterlink... But I'm not a professional. Yr Mechanic, I like your idea. I'd pledge for this too
Go to Top of Page

Yr Mechanic
Swervelette

32 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  7:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, I'm sure there are people who have the equipment and know-how to do it on their own but as Adi pointed out, relying on someone on this forum to put in the work is always going to be risky since everyone is busy and we don't know each other well enough to know who can be counted on, who procrastinates, etc.

That's why I offered to pay for the process, then Adi could hire a professional who can be counted on to move things on quickly to the next step.

If this is something you'd be interested in Adi, you can either post so here or email me at swervietapes@gmail.com.
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  04:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
count me in for some fundage

oink
Go to Top of Page

CEddy10165
Passenger

88 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  2:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit CEddy10165's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adivines

quote:
Originally posted by CEddy10165

I also think there's enough skill, talent and resources in the...community that backing up the tapes and mastering them could be done easily

Not wishing to cause offence, but over seven years ago I delivered audio of the first ever Swervedriver show to this site and still no-one has done anything with it. So, there may be the skill, talent and resources in the commumity but perhaps not the will....

If anyone wants to get me this tape, I'll gladly transfer and master it. My will for Swervedriver never subsides.

Aaron drop me a line. You can find my old trade list on this board and online. I used to CD-R snail mail trade and posted a couple of my swd masters on Dime.

actually came on the board today, because I'm starting a fresh batch of new rips of my entire collection to back up to flac. Personally with the band's blessing the Smithsonian funded archive.org is the best high quality accessible non-profit place for them. Unless of course the band has plans to release their own archive series for sale. There's a bunch of people that have tried to gather every snippet they can and share with the community through the years, there's just never been a sanctioned repository. I still get a kick out of Adam using my Satansville recording from the Fez on an official release.

Edited by - CEddy10165 on 08/26/2017 2:11:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000