shake appeal live
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone live near the British Library? If so, you can stop by and listen to live Shake Appeal shows. They're a part of the Michael Gerzon collection, who recorded tons of shows until his death in '96 and whose collection was digitized by the library. This is what they list:

1987-04-03 Jericho Tavern, Oxford
(includes soundcheck, no setlist, Riley Ross poetry reading after Shake Appeal set)

1987-09-28 Old Fire Station, Oxford 52:46m
(soundcheck, Amphetamine, Revolving, Gimme Fever, Flesh And Blood, She's Got Eyes (They Tell Lies), Old Rollercoaster, You Better Do Something, You Don't Matter, Take A Ride With Me)

1988-11-08 Apollo Theatre, Oxford
Part of a (benefit?) concert entitled 'Local Support'. Gimme Fever, Blind Joe Death, You're Gonna Miss Me, Take A Ride With Me, Hardcore, Catch It

1988-12-17 Co-Op Hall, Oxford
High School Heavy Metal, Fever In My Pocket, Zig Zag Wanderer, Chinese Rocks, Ramblin' Rose, Search And Destroy, Louie Louie

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  7:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an article about this archive, for anyone interested:

http://cec.sonus.ca/education/archive/10_x/archive_britishlibrary.html

It seems as though their goal is to make it available online for streaming but that might be a ways off.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  03:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't live (and work) far away from there. I've known about this for a while and I've been meaning to check it out. I'll try and get there soon and report back.

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

Yr Mechanic
Swervelette

32 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  09:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in North America, but about a year and a half ago I was in London and went to the British Library to check this out. At the time, two of the shows listed by aaron could be listened to from a CDR that they had to stock for me a few days after my first visit and I had the opportunity to listen to them a few days later on a second visit. I had to make a "listening appointment" for these.

The other two shows were still only on tape and could not be immediately retrieved, but as a result of my request (meaning I was probably the first person ever to request listening to them), they digitized them and made them available for streaming inside the British Library (but nowhere else in the world).

This process took about three months, so unfortunately for me by the time it was completed I was long gone from London, but it did make them immediately available for future listeners. I received this email from them later: "I’m pleased to say that the recordings you requested to be digitised are now available to hear on Sound Server terminals within any British Library reading room. You can hear these by using a reading room PC with headphones attached, clicking on “Sound & Moving Images pages” from the homepage and searching for the shelfmarks C236/766 (Shake Appeal) and C236/558 (Jericho Tavern – Shake Appeal and The Heart Throbs) in the Sound Server Jukebox link. You do not need a Listening appointment for this."

I did ask about the possibility of the recordings being made available for worldwide streaming. There were apparently no specific plans for these recordings, but it can probably be made to happen. Someone would need to obtain permission from the band members (ie copyright holders), and then this would have to be communicated with the British Library.

This is definitely feasible since through the message board/website, I believe we have are able to get contact with most of the band from that time. The Jericho Tavern show lists them as follows:

Title: [Jericho Tavern, 1987]
Recording: 1987-04-03;
* Shake Appeal;
* Franklin, Graham (vocal);
* Franklin, Adam, 1966- (electric guitar);
* Hartridge, Jimmy (electric guitar);
* Vines, Adrian, 1968- (bass guitar);
* Pulzer, Paddy (drums);
* Gerzon, Michael (sound recordist)

Adam, Jimmy and Adi are probably easy to contact and hopefully Graham is in contact with Adam since they're brothers. Paddy may be reachable through the band somehow. It may be that not all members need to give permission, which would make it easier.

To make this happen, someone would need to visit the British Library and clarify exactly what paperwork/releases are needed to make streaming available widely, and then either they or someone else would need to reach out to the band members and ask for written permission to release the material (if this is something they would want) and bring this back to the Library.

Living so far away from the British Library and having no particular contact with the band, I can't volunteer to do this myself, but I put it out there to others who might be interested in looking into this project further. Anyone want to take this on?

There's almost no Shake Appeal music out there for fans and it would be wonderful if the roots of Swervedriver were finally exposed to the outside world.
Go to Top of Page

chris

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  12:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll ask what the process is when I go in there.

Have you all heard this?

https://soundcloud.com/adam-franklin/03-amphetamine

I'm assuming its from one of the concerts in the archive.

http://www.last.fm/user/pinky_blue
Go to Top of Page

Yr Mechanic
Swervelette

32 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  8:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris, I look forward to hearing back from you!

I think the track on Soundcloud is a studio version of Amphetamine, which was apparently released under a few formats.
Go to Top of Page

aaaron
Swervelette

37 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  12:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the released version of Amphetamine, at least the copy I have in my iTunes. comes from the bonus 7" of The Jericho Collection. It's a live version, you're right. Gimme Fever / Mexico City S.O.S. I could take or leave, but Amphetamine is pretty awesome.
Go to Top of Page

adivines
Assistant Driver

146 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  01:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Aaaron but that is not the released version. That is a live version that I thought came from the Oxford Apollo gig. I used to have an email about the origin of this recording but can't seem to locate it now. Its not part of the Gerzon collection as it appears to be a mixing desk recording and Michael used to use his own equipment to record from the audience.

Whatever, its waaaay too fast. The Bo Diddly shuffle has completely disappeared.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000