Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  7:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin Shields live show...

http://www.koos.org/calendar.html

dunno what this is, but iwas looking up shows for a friend who is going over to Long Beach / LA Calif. next week and recalled one of my heroes playing at Koo's (Walter from Rival Schools/Quicksand/Walking Concert - unitedbywalter.com) so i thought i'd check what they have on when she's there.

anyway, this Kevin Shields thing shows up on the calendar on 27th Oct. 2005

oink

Edited by - whitewatersky on 10/13/2005 7:36:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  09:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unwed sailor is playing at koos as well. too bad i am on the east coast.
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  09:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a good chuckle out of your sig there james. Folks are so naive about their wireless connections.
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  11:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really strict at work. I started to feel cut off and I brought my laptop in one day to take to bryant park, only to find that I actually had a good connection right here. I can stream radio which for me is a life saver. Music makes all the difference. I bow down to Apartment Guy and his network illiteracy... too good to be true, with my luck, it's probably the ceo's apartment.
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  06:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I went out and saw Van Halen with David Lee Roth at one of the local bars here on friday night. They played a good portion of diver down and 1984... OK so it was "Van Heaven" and they were terribly drunk and well they just sucked but it was pretty funny for a novelty act.

Anyway so we took my fiance's dad camping and to see String Cheese Incident for his birthday a few weekends ago. I know that jam bands probably bore most of you folks to tears but I have to admit it was a good show. Mind you I'm not running out to buy Cheese cds but it was cool. They played a 3 hour set and varied the tempo and style enough that it wasn't mundane. They ran through some bluegrass, blues, and latin sounds among the long jams. I was more taken by these guys on stage with their communication/hand signals for getting back on track from some of the more out there jams. Its nice to see someone taking the music more seriously than most normal bands that hop on stage and run through a quick set without any unknowns popping up. I felt like I got my moneys worth well before the show was over. So they play 3-4 encore tunes and the shows over and we linger a bit at the bar after. Then we stroll outside and the two guitarists and percussionist are sitting on the bar in the veranda playing an acoustic set to about 200 folks. No Mics, completely acoustic. The fans were all shushing each other to get everyone quieted down so everyone could hear. They played for about 45 more minutes doing mostly traditional bluegrass tunes under the stars to this small crowd. A very nice rendition of "redemption song" got played and everyone sang along. It was nice...
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  08:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't going to mention it, but I saw the String Cheese Incident with a friend who had extra tix a couple of weekends ago. Didn't know what I was getting into until after my wife agreed for me and I checked their website. I hate the dead, but I was always partial to Mickey Hart. So the "hippy drumming" part wasn't so bad. I found it amazing that when one of the guys jumped off their instrument, I could not detect any change in the music. I guess the light show was pretty cool - not the official light show but the glo-stick tossing. Were they still carrying around the NOLA musicians? That for me was the best part, getting to hear some blues. I definitely would not go see them again, but after a few beers the repetativeness of that kinda music stops getting annoying. The most interesting thing for me was that the acoustic guitar had like 4 pedals attached to it. I kept thinking that guy was going to get electrocuted hitting those things with his bare feet.

I was hoping to cleanse myself at the Riddle of Steel show last week, but I guess I'll have to wait until the Life and Times come to town in 10 days.

http://boomer0127.googlepages.com/home
http://www.last.fm/user/boomer0127
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  09:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe. No there were no NOLA musicians for the show :( I'll agree about the glo-stick tossing "hippy" contingent being strong though. I still need a cleansing show but alas I live in booneyville.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Let me know how the Life and Times show goes for ya Boomer...

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

www.myspace.com/blueshiftkc

http://blueshift-kc.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

moenkopi46_2
Driving Instructor

USA
984 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  9:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and let me know how Murder by Death is.
Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  01:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to say it but I think Id rather have seen Riddle Of Steel more than The Life. Are you guys aware that Broken Social Scene are touring atm?

Monday November 7, 2005 Los Angeles, CA Henry Fonda Theatre
Tuesday November 8, 2005 Los Angeles, CA Henry Fonda Theatre
Wednesday November 9, 2005 San Francisco, CA The Grand
Friday November 11, 2005 Portland, OR Roseland
Saturday November 12, 2005 Seattle, WA Showbox Theatre
Sunday November 13, 2005 Vancouver, BC The Commodore Ballroom
Sunday November 13, 2005 Vancouver, BC The Commodore Ballroom
Tuesday November 15, 2005 Calgary, AB MacEwan Hall
Thursday November 17, 2005 Edmonton, AB Reds
Friday November 18, 2005 Saskatoon, SK Amigos
Saturday November 19, 2005 Winnipeg, MB Rendezvous
Tuesday November 29, 2005 London, UK Barfly
Thursday December 1, 2005 Vienna, Austria Szene Wien
Friday December 2, 2005 Fribourg, Switzerland Fri-Son
Saturday December 3, 2005 Munich , Germany Feierwerk
Monday December 5, 2005 Berlin, Germany Postbahnhof
Tuesday December 6, 2005 Copenhagen, Denmark Loppen
Wednesay December 7, 2005 Stockholm, Sweden Kagelbanan
Thursday December 8, 2005 Oslo, Norway John Dee
Saturday December 10, 2005 Hamburg, Germany Knust
Sunday December 11, 2005 Frankfurt, Germany Mousonturm
Tuesday December 13, 2005 Cologne, Germany Prime Club
Wednesday December 14, 2005 Amsterdam, Netherlands Melkweg
Thursday December 15, 2005 Brussels, Belgium Ab Box
Friday December 16, 2005 Paris, France La Maroquinerie
Saturday December 17, 2005 Den Haag, Netherlands State X New Forms Festival
Monday December 19, 2005 London, UK Cargo

That would have to be mentioned if any of you have seen them or are planning to, please share.

"If all else fails, X equals 8" Alex P Keaton

Edited by - crozarey on 11/06/2005 01:52:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  9:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Alright Swervies in the ATL - I have an extra ticket to the Life and Times/ Murder by Death show friday evening at the Masquerade in Hell. Interested in ze ticket? Send me an email through the website.

Go to Top of Page

Melwas
Assistant Driver

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  04:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna see steve harley and the cockney rebel next month! woo!
Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  05:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man. Boomer is that show tonight? If I hadn't spent excessive income this week on appraisals and a new projector I'd probably head your way. I must make it down there to meet you guys at a show sometime.
Go to Top of Page

MezcalTed
Assistant Driver

Canada
164 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see MezcalTed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Toshack Highway with Sianspheric tonight at the Casbah in Hamilton :)
What more can I say... I can't wait!
I'll post my 1st forum review tomorrow...
Oh, they're back at it again tomorrow @ the Drake in Toronto for any Swervies near the GTO area.

Those darker forces just ain't real
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  10:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay - Life and Times/Murder By Death, November 11 at the Masquerade (Hell) ATL, GA.

I get there around 8:30 and there's this huge line of people wearing black spandex/leather with chains and spikes and stuff. I hear horrid screaming from Heaven (that's the upstairs venue in this Heaven/Hell/Purgatory club). I go the the entrance to hell with my ticket and find out that i have to go get in line with these folks to get my hand stamped (so much for advance tickets). Turns out HateBreed is the band up in heaven (kinda ironic). Get my 21+ wristband and my hand stamped and I'm off to hell. I get in and the life and times are soundchecking, saying "4 minutes to rock o'clock". I hear strange heavy metal coming out of the stacks - I thought it was strange to be playing that kind of music before L/T. Turns out it wasn't coming from the speakers, it was coming from upstairs. Arrgh.

Life and Times played a pretty short set. Mostly the new album with "Houdini" the only track from Flat End. Being in such a small venue, I was able to stand next to the stage about 3 feet away from Epley. Singer and Bassist for Murder by Death were next to me cheering them on. Sound was pretty good, but Epley continually asked sound man to either kill off a dead pedal or increase delay on this song, etc. I could tell he was getting a little miffed at the sound man (Murder By Death would have the same problems in their set, too). There were about 40 people watching the show. I'd say maybe 10 of us cheered loudly after each song - one group of guys did high-fives when My Last Hostage was played.

From memory: Skateland, My Last Hostage, Charlotte St., Running Redlights, Shift Your Gaze, Mea Culpa and Houdini. They had no organ, so Epley was doing the synth from "My Last Hostage" with his voice. Man, Chris can really pound those drums!

Only played for maybe 40 minutes. Very depressed about that. Talked a little to Epley while he was helping remove their equipment. He also was disappointed in their short set, but he was extremely gracious talking about how Murder by Death was taking them around the country. After their show, talked to Chris and Eric while they sold CD's and T-Shirts. I picked up a copy of Flat End. Really nice guys. They were happy to hear that us Swervies liked them.

Murder by Death came on next. I was suprised how different they were to Life and Times. The music was pretty sparse, with a big focus on the cello and the drums. While they were on Epley came out to relieve Chris and Eric at the sales table. Again, he gushed about Murder by Death being an amazing band and how lucky they were to be out touring with them. I mentioned that L/T had a much fuller sound and seemed to focus more on sound than vocals (and that L/T should have been the headliner, not the other way around). He rebuffed my fanboy comments, saying that all the people that came out were going to see M/D, not L/T.

I stayed for the whole M/D set, but I was pretty disappointed. The singer seemed rather juvenile, jumping around the stage. I wasn't until the last song of their regular set that they started to jam. They finally were able to drown out the bass thumping from HateBreed upstairs. Their last song of the encore was a pretty good cooker, too. They played for maybe an hour. The sound guy again was consulted from the stage many times, so I guess things weren't hunky-dory from that angle.

Overall, I wish L/T could have played longer (would have loved to hear High Scores, too), but it was great seeing them. Murder By Death, I dunno. Not enough music in most of their songs and they seemed a little pretentious, especially with videos of old B&W horror flicks on the wall behind them. But maybe my focus on L/T after their show took a bit away from M/D.

Oh, and boob showed up about 3/4 of the way through M/D set. Hey boob! Hope that bite heals, man.

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man thats sucks that they had to compete with a band in another part of the building! Only 40 people hey? They were pretty freaked out when i emailed them last year for a cd and a tee to be sent to australia for me. Also sucks that High Scores was left out too. Glad the personnel are cool. I figured they would be.

Thanks for sharing Boomerangatang! I appreciated it bro.

Oh, did Boob's twin show up with him?

Go to Top of Page

crozarey
Son of Swervedriver

Australia
2583 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  11:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went and saw Tex (Perkins, front man of Beasts Of Bourbon, Cruel Sea), Don (Walker, of Cold Chisel fame) And Charlie (Owen of many Oz bands in the past)last night. Really enjoyable show. They are touring again after releasing their last LP All Is Forgiven, 13 years after they released Sad But True and toured for it in '93.

As we got there early I was able to secure a booth with an uninterupted view of the stage. It made for a very comfortable night with some moving and spine-tingling moments. I even got a bit teary during a few tracks. The Darling Downs supported them earlier and Ron Peno http://www.theage.com.au/news/Music/High-and-country/2005/03/28/1111862309960.html came out for a duet with Tex at one point - I was reminded of the amazing stuff he did with Died Pretty and his hands movements were a classic. Kim Salmon came out to play harmonica only to turn around and leave when at the end of the track it was relised that the mic hadnt been working throughout. He looked good tho. They even played a track written by Paul Kelly called Youre 39, Youre Beautiful And Youre Mine, which got me a little misty again.

I went with my closest music friends after 13 years of them raving about their last tour. I was thinking it would be ok, if not good. It was close to perfect. Only the had to find cab, sucked. See them if you can Whitewatersky and Snail etc. Very cool.

Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  4:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that musta been awesome.
i saw them last year at the Hopetoun in Surry Hills.
grat show.
Charlie's probly my fave Aussie guitarist...

well, actually, Blackie from the Hard-Ons is the ultimate for 100% pleasure provision, but god, Charlie's guitar work on the New Christs' record Distemper is fuckin unbeatable. the tone. the ballsiness, the simple rockin-ness.

http://www.citadel-records.com/mailorder/768/featured/old/distemper/newchrists.html

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/birdmanpage/newchrists.htm

i wish i had an mp3 on this computer with the song Burning of Rome. it is in the top 10 Aussie rock songs of all time, i gotta say...

oink
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  7:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping to catch Rogue Wave and Mazarin Dec 6 here at the Earl. It's a school night, though.

Mary My Hope/Pleasure Club singer James Hall is doing a solo show at Smith's Olde Bar this saturday night. I wish I knew what he would be playing....

Edited by - boomer0127 on 11/21/2005 7:23:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  5:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Church are on tour in Oz at the moment.
As usual I will be on hand with video camera locked and loaded.

someone asked me for some recent stuff so i bundled together what i had on the work laptop and threw it up on yousendit.com

for anyone interested, here's the post i made for that person:

here's a link from which you can download some very recent Church songs (Telepath and Maya from the 2004 album Forget Yourself), Under the Milky Way (from Starfish 1987?), and Marty doing a coupla awesome songs (Chromium which features on the Church's 2003 album After Everything Now This and You Bring Your Love To Me from his solo album Hanging Out In Heaven - I recorded this version a few years ago).

You've got a file called "04 Telepath.zip" (18316 KB) waiting for download.
Regular link (for all web browsers):
http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3QXK8QZ7OOT633TQ3JW2E45XF5

god they rooool. can't wait for the show. it's their 25th Anniversary show so it'll be great to have on video).

oink
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Whitewatersky!
just grabbed 'em...

s_w__e___r____v_____e______d_______r________i_________v___________e_____________r

Go to Top of Page

whitewatersky
Driving Instructor

Australia
573 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit whitewatersky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
let me know whatcha think.
Maya and Telepath are amazing songs.
these guys have turned into a band i reallllly dig (in case you hadn't noticed)

reason i mention it is that, yeah, i always liked the Classics... i mean, STARFISH is a flawless record.

but they've changed a lot - which would possibly bug old fans - but for me, what they've done on the last coupla records is just perfect for my taste, whereas the old church stuff is not all up there in my collection.

oink
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight in New York, Witch featuring J. Mascis. wonder what that is. i can't go.

Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the Dandy Warhols and Out Crowd a week or two ago. For those of you that don't know, Out Crowd is Matt Hollywood's new band (he was in the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and in Dig). They reminded me of Methodrone era BJM (live any ways). I haven't heard their new album yet, so I can't say it sounds the same as it does live. You can download a few free tracks on their web site, I recommend it! Their set ended with a rockin' version of the Dylan classic, "Maggies Farm." I would go to see them headline in an instant. The Dandy's really surprised me! One hundred times better than the last time I saw them. Courtney Taylor's voice does sound a little ripped up, but the band is just great live. They played a good amount of stuff from "Dandys Rule, OK?" and the rest of their back catalog, which I was happy about! I'm not all that crazy about the last 2 albums (Monkey House and Odditorium), but I have really come to like the rest of their albums recently. Any ways, if you like them, definitely try and catch them if they pass through town.....especially if Out Crowd is opening!

Oh yeah, I also saw Echo & The Bunnymen a few weeks ago! Another great show! The new album blends well with the old classics live. The set was heavy with stuff from Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here, which was really cool. Even though it's just Ian & Will plus a few hired guns, they sound awesome. I recommend catching them too!

No more shows planned for me until Feb. when Supergrass rolls into town! Can't wait!

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  3:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey Whitewatersky - I fairly recently bought Forget Yourself - and I think it's my favorite Church disk that I own! - but, I only have everything up through Sometime Anywhere.
I bought it on your recomendation from an earlier thread - and it makes me want everything that I have missed! It's right up my alley as far as everything that I love about music.
The 2 other songs - the live track "Chromium" and the Marty Wilson-Piper are both incredible!
Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Snail
Driving Instructor

Australia
926 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dinosaur Jr in Oz soon - wooh-hoo!

"Whatever happens your toes are still tappen"
Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  10:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here are Rogue Wave/Nada Surf tour dates:

Feb. 8: Baltimore (8X10)
Feb. 9: Charlottesville, Va. (Starr Hill Music Hall)
Feb. 10: Carrboro, N.C. (Cat's Cradle)
Feb. 11: Atlanta (Loft)
Feb. 12: Nashville (Exit In)
Feb. 13: Maryland Heights, Mo. (Voodoo Lounge)
Feb. 14: Columbia, Mo. (Blue Note)
Feb. 15: Lawrence, Kan. (Granada Theatre)
Feb. 17: Dallas (Gypsy Tea Room)
Feb. 18: Austin, Texas (Emo's)
Feb. 20: Tempe, Ariz. (Clubhouse)
Feb. 21: San Diego (House of Blues)
Feb. 22: Los Angeles (Henry Fonda Theatre)
Feb. 23: San Francisco (Fillmore)
Feb. 24: Portland, Ore. (Aladdin Theatre)
Feb. 25: Vancouver (Richard's on Richards)
Feb. 26: Seattle (Showbox)
March 1: Denver (Bluebird Theatre)
March 2: Omaha, Neb. (Sokol Underground)
March 3: Minneapolis (Fine Line)
March 4: Madison, Wis. (Annex)
March 5: Chicago (Metro)
March 6: Detroit (Magic Stick)
March 8: New York (Webster Hall)
March 9: Boston (Paradise)
March 10: Montreal (Cabaret Music Hall)
March 11: Toronto (Lee's Palace)

Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  12:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
boomer did you notice this? if you are a fan.

sianspheric are playing in atlanta, ga?

2006-03-16
Sianspheric - Atlanta, GA | W/ A Northern Chorus, Iron Hero | Lenny's

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  6:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
HOLY CRAP! Thanks James - I completely missed that one. I'll be there. After further review, Lenny's web site suggests that Sianspheric won't be playing - the other two bands are there with another band called The Blue Hour.

hmmmmmmmm..... but there is is in Red and White on the Sianspheric website. I'll think the best now and be damn excited!

Go to Top of Page

jamesg

USA
1261 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  06:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boomer man... If I wasn't leaving on my honeymoon the morning of the 8th I'd surely be at this one:

Dinosaur Jr
Variety Playhouse
Atlanta, GA
Sat, 04/08/06
On Sale Fri, 02/03/06

Edit: Some Mark Kozelek tourdates posted by Jason on the excellent list. I know he has some fans here...

04/01/2006 Jackson, MS, Hal & Mal's Red Room
05/13/2006 St Augustine, FL, Cafe Eleven
05/15/2006 Orlando, FL, The Social
05/16/2006 Gainsville, FL, Common Grounds
05/18/2006 Atlanta, GA, Variety Playhouse
05/19/2006 Asheville, NC, Grey Eagle
05/22/2006 Annapolis, MD, Raws Head
05/24/2006 New York, NY, Bowery Ballroom
05/26/2006 Boston, MA, Remis Aditorium, Museum Of Fine Arts 05/27/2006 Northampton, MA, Iron Horse

Edited by - jamesg on 02/02/2006 10:45:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  10:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For anybody in the Northeast U.S.-Rob Dickinson is coming back around in March. I saw him a couple of months ago in Boston and he knocked my socks off. He even performed some Catherine Wheel material. Aside from Elbow he was the best show I saw this fall with BRMC coming in at a close third, another band that I'm slated to see in Northampton, MA on 2/15 (They have Boston and NYC dates as well). I'm pretty sure I'm going to both the Mercury Lounge and Paradise shows.

Rob Dickinson dates:

3/1 Mercury Lounge, NYC
3/4 Paradise Lounge, Boston
3/10 Southpaw, Brooklyn

Does anyone know what the deal with the Toshack Highway tour is yet? I saw Adam play back in September at Mercury Lounge and I think I recall him mentioning doing a tour early this year, although he wasn't really promising anything.
Go to Top of Page

MattW
Assistant Driver

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  07:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm going to the Bob Pollard show at the Southgate House in Newport, KY tomorrow.

BRMC is playing at Slippery Rock Univ tomorrow, but I had to choose Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Strudelhead
Assistant Driver

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  1:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brooks and I just saw Supergrass last night at the Paradise in Boston. These guys are so underrated, just go see them!

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations." W. Churchill

Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  1:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yeah dude - Supergrass rocks! Hey Strudelhead - I know I keep saying this... but, you'll really get your package one day soon - got 'em all burned - just need to hit the post. Work has been killing me....

Hey Boomer - I'm seeing Nada/Rogue next Wed. in Lawrence!
Can't wait.
makes working all weekend not so bad...

Go to Top of Page

boomer0127
Petroleum Spirit

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  8:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit boomer0127's Homepage  Send boomer0127 an AOL message  Send boomer0127 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, I missed that show here in ATL in December. You also have your hometown boys playing on the 18th. Lucky Devil. I hope the Brick is alot better than the shithole I saw them in back in november. I've got Supa-grass coming in town on the 16th. I dunno - I think I'm a loud power bigot or something. They just don't do it for me.

edit: The Epley interview that guy posted about mentioned that Life and Times would be touring the east and south in May with Pelican. Isn't Pelican a bit heavy for them? Asked some question on the Pelican forums, but the tumbleweeds seem to be rolling over there...

Anybody heard them?

Edited by - boomer0127 on 02/11/2006 8:38:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  11:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pelican is usually quite heavy but their newest "The Fire in our Throats..." has a lot of melodic moments and employs the loud/soft dynamics much like Mogwai. They're the thinking man's heavy metal if you will. "Aurora Borealis" from that record is quite pretty actually. I'm not really familiar with the Life and Times so I really can't compare the two bands but Pelican's live show comes highly recommended from a friend who's seen them a couple of times. Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  3:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strudelhead

Brooks and I just saw Supergrass last night at the Paradise in Boston. These guys are so underrated, just go see them!

Yup! Couldn't agree more! Supergrass were awesome. I've been listening to "Only In It For The Money," and the self titled album a lot this weekend. Definately catch them if they swing through your town!

Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
People, go see B.R.M.C live. I caught them again last night and their live show just keeps getting better and better. They played for about 2 hrs and sounded fantastic. Highly recommended.
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  10:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
new york friday: yeah!! got my lazy ass out on friday to finally see lolita bras. damn... missed their $2 single they sold out. the night was really good but i couldn't stay for all the bands. but it was a great line up - ?somebody?... lolita bras, mazarin, head set and baby dayliner. lolita bras reminded me of the smiths sometimes though I am not sure why. the singer is a bit dramatic.i would check out them out though if you get a chance. overall i think there a couple of you that would like them.

mazarin must be doing stuff together with lolita cause the last time i went to see lolita, mazarin were on the line up.. or it's a coincidence. shrug, but mazarin are good live, lots of good noisy guitar stuff.

i missed head set and baby dayliner but i am hearing good things on those two. hopefully i'll catch them another time.

Go to Top of Page

rockinrebel
Swervelette

15 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  7:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dino jr. 4/20 great american music hall san francisco will be my first time seeing them!!
Go to Top of Page

fxhosa
Swervelette

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  5:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dino Jr are also playing in Australia next month - can't wait to see the original line up.

Saw Kings of Leon a couple of weeks back. Sounded really good but man, their appearance is a little scary - the singer looked like he was ready to bust out some Skid Row or Poison tracks: the tightest black jeans you've ever seen, a loose black singlet, clean shaven and his hair tied back in true glam-rock-ballad style!

FAM500
Go to Top of Page

rocket

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  7:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

hey dudes - Nada Surf and Rogue Wave ruled!
Personally I prefer Nada Surf - can't keep my eyes off the sweet chords...
But, Rogue Wave put on one hell of a show - stole the night imho. For one - the guys vocals are just as strong live as on disk - and for soft vocals - that is sometimes hard to pull off. For 2 - everyone in the band sang - many songs had 4 part harmonies which really sounded incredible live. And finally - every 3 songs or so the band would completely change instruments - next thing you would know - the drummer would be playing bass and the guitarist would be drumming etc.
The kicker was you never felt a defference in the quality of performance. Great musicians all around I thought. bought the first disk too - great stuff!

Go to Top of Page

rockinrebel
Swervelette

15 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nada surf plays here tonite in San Fran at the Filmore. hmmmmmm I wanna see them rock out and not play their slower new cd....can't we jump in a time machine back to the 90's??? damn
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
work couldn't have gotten shittier this month...but a friend surprised me last night with a call to go and be completely irresponsible..and see a show.. i quickly did a check only to find out that something good was on..the yeah, yeah, yeahs but were sold out. However the nice surprise was the bush tetras played a gig last night at Tonic and it was a flamin good show. The place was completely packed.

if you want to admire a couple of cool rock chicks Pat Place and Cynthia Sley must be included. She will be in my girl rock star shrine forever. I love her guitar playing she makes such a great noise all with its own personality. Cynthia Sley is equally as interesting and watchable and listenable.

Best part I was bopping right next to Steve Buscemi all night who also might be a long time fan or buddy...he grew up near where I did so maybe he was there way back when 26 years ago like me... they kept reminding us old buggers how long ago it was.

I already bought tickets to see rogue wave. I saw them a month or so ago but couldn't stay for the whole show.
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rob Dickinson at Mercury Lounge tomorrow night. Anybody else gonna be there?
Go to Top of Page

james
Assistant Driver

194 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  2:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was considering it as i am out late tomorrow anyway for work
Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  8:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rob Dickinson was great once again. He's definitely hinting at getting Catherine Wheel back together as well. If I recall correctly the CW songs he played outnumbered the stuff from his solo record.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks
Assistant Driver

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  2:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was it an acoustic show? I think he is playing in Boston Saturday night. If I can, I may try and go.

Go to Top of Page

just.landed
Swervelette

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  01:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Send just.landed an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, he was solo acoustic in New York.
Go to Top of Page

Snail
Driving Instructor

Australia
926 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  5:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey all, dino jr on friday just gone in Sydney at the Metro..for me this gig was a winner. Very cool vibe which began with a strange but just right mix of heavy dub/ragga, indie pop type metal pre-show tunes, then J, Murph and Lou going mad on stage (ripping extended freaked out guitar solos and solid, solid unstoppable rythm section on a rampage). V cool vibe continued after show,...usually people file out after a gig. Nope!..People just hangin out talking and smiling, havin a few drinkys. Most and longest collection of dreadlocks i've seen in a while.

Snail

"Whatever happens your toes are still tappen"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Swervedriver Discussion Forums © swervedriver Go To Top Of Page
thispagewasswervedrivenin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000